Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Not Recognizing Any Peripherals Via Usb

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jmufroggie

jmufroggie

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:46 PM

:thumbsup: I cannot get any peripherals to connect to my computer via USB port.

I have a Canon PowerShotA590, SanDisk USB 12 in 1 card reader/writer, and Sony Handicam. I have been trying desperately to connect to any of these for months and get pictures of my infant son downloaded.

I've been on the phone with each company's helpdesk. After each discussion, they said it must be my computer and they had done all that they could do. Either I need to uninstall / reinstall again (which I've done) or buy a memory card reader instead (which I found has the same install issue).

In each case, I download the installation disk. I restart the computer. I connect the device via USB.
The hardware recognition either never pops up at all (Canon PowerShot), or in the case of the SanDisk card reader, it pops up, asks me to install the software disk (which I did already). When I follow the hardware wizard directions, I get an error "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (Code 19)."

The computer does recognize something is connected (ie, when connected, the device shows up in my computer > scanners and cameras. Also in device manager it shows up as the device name with an !). This is why the companies are saying it's my fault. If I try to open up the software it tells me my device isn't connected and transfer file options are greyed out. I'm wondering if it's some setting in virus protection that is blocking everything? I have had scanners and digital cameras work in the past, but it's been over a year since anything was recognized.

I am running WindowsXP Professional and McAfee. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:36 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Have you tried deleting your USB controllers in Device Manager...rebooting...and then seeing if your USB works better?

Louis

#3 jmufroggie

jmufroggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

Louis -
No luck. :thumbsup:
I wasn't sure how to delete (I didn't see a delete option), but I did see an uninstall option.
I googled and followed directions on how to delete the USB entries.
I rebooted and have the same issue. I tried a jump drive that used to work w/o issue and now that isn't recognized either.
Upon reboot I kept getting new hardware found, then followed the prompts but nothing could be installed as it could never find the right files. The drive also didn't show up under My Comptuer when it was plugged in.
My Device Manager now reads:
? Other devices *note this and the following 5 entries weren't like this before
?! Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
?! Unknown device
?! Unknown device
?! Unknown device
?! Unknown device
Universal Serial Bus controllers
Inel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Inel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Inel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Inel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

None of your USB devices work...because you need to install the drivers for the USB controllers...from your motherboard or system CD containing such.

System manufacturer...and model?

Louis

#5 jmufroggie

jmufroggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:14 PM

Ok. Thank you. I'm obviously out of my element here.
I have a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop.
I looked through the CDs that came w/ the computer, I tried to re-install any drivers that came w/ those.
Then I went on the dell website and downloaded the chipset driver whose description said it contained the USB drivers.
Nothing helped - upon start up, I keep getting the found new hardware wizard (nothing is plugged in the USB port at this time).
I follow the prompts, but then it says the hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software (I tried having it install the drivers automatically, and I also chose from a location - including the Dell installation disk I had, and the location where the dell website downloaded the drivers - did not work either).
I'm just grasping at straws on what do do. Is there an emoticon for beating your head against a wall?
:thumbsup:

#6 lethal_01

lethal_01

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:06 AM

Check all USB connections for physical damage. If even one of them is damaged, it may be shorting out and causing problems with the rest of them.

I would also find out what the exact chipset is for that model of Dell, and download the latest from Intelís site. Then disconnect all USB devices, install the chipset driver, restart the computer.

I have a feeling that your installation of Windows is past due.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:48 AM

Dell Dimension 4600 Drivers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users