Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsods At Random

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cehr

cehr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

Last night I got a BSOD completely at random; I wasn't doing anything I didn't normally do, I was surfing the web with Firefox, had I believe XChat open too. It was an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with stop codes of 0x0000000A (0x760C7D3B, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804EAEDB).

But now the person I share my computer with says that he got the same BSOD 2-3 times today at random, even while he wasn't doing. I've checked around places like the Microsoft support website but it all seems pretty confusing to me. It doesn't really seem like a virus or hardware error, though...

I'm running XP Home Edition SP2.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:05 AM

Basic approach: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063

Louis

#3 cehr

cehr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:51 PM

Well, a few minutes after I posted this, I got a different blue screen that did not have an error message but had a stop code code of 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x00000000, 0xA8101E24, 0x00000000), and after it did its memory dump and restart I got another blue screen after the XP loading screen. It was like the other one, in that it didn't have an error message but it had different stop codes of 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

After that one did its memory dump/restart it came up with the "windows could not start" screen with a safe mode prompt, I decided to just start Windows normally and it seemed to work, immediately ran a virus check with avast! and it said it found a trojan-gen win32 (other) or something. I've also done some research on those BSOD's, and now I'm worried it's either a virus or hardware failure...

Can anyone help?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:21 PM

Well if it found a virus, then more then likely it is infected. Go post your HJT Log in the proper forums. Probably the Am I Infected Forum.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

I'd also run Memtest on the RAM...memory situations can produce similar impacts.

I would run Memtest after you are sure it's not an infected system.

Louis

#6 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:25 AM

There can be several causes for this, the most common being a RAM error. I have a systematic approach to this type of issue in my workshop.

1. Open the unit and make sure it is clean, remove all dust-bunnies from the CPU heatsink and fan.
2. Make sure the CPU heatsink fan is still functional.
3. Reseat the RAM modules and the cables to the HDDs and optical devices.
4. Reseat all the power cables.

Boot the computer and run a RAM testing utility - I like TTPro (not a free utility) but Memtest is a good free one. Test each RAM module on its own and run a couple of hundred cycles on each one.

You'd be surprised at how often just cleaning a unit and reseating everything fixes BSOD problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users