Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Telnet Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DieselHopper

DieselHopper

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:47 PM

I'm trying to telnet to one of my other machines. I have the IP address and the correct IP and I type in the cmd prompt "telnet IP port" and it says Connecting to xxx.xxx.x.xxx... and then the DOS screen goes completely black and has a blinking underscore. I can type stuff but all it does is move the under score around (as if the font was the same color as the background) because no text shows up. All it does is sit there, no matter how much time I wait. Anyone know why?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fbg

fbg

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:10 AM

I can't say that I know why but I would suggest that you try a packet sniffer such as WinDump:

http://www.winpcap.org/windump/install/default.htm

See if you can see any packets going back and forth.

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

What are you trying to do?
What service are you trying to connect to?

You can point telnet to whatever computer/IP address you'd like, but if the computer isn't listening on the port you're pointing to (IE running a server or server process) nothing is going to happen.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users