Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acquiring Network Address Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tunch

tunch

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:30 PM

Computer has been running slower so I ran through the checklist. Ran RegCure Scan. Fixed Errors. Since then, I have been unable to access the internet. The computer which is wired to a DSL connection, is unable to acquire a network address. I am also unable to open RegCure again do to a 'Windows sockets initialization failed" error.

Help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

Do you have any firewall programs running? Just to test, try disabling any and all firewall programs and see if you can now obtain an IP address.

If that does not work, let's check the local area connection. Assuming you have Win XP, click on "Start", then "Control Panel", and double click "Network Connections". Look for your Local Area Connection and see if you have any "!", "X", or "?" symbol on it. Try to right-click and make sure you cannot choose "enable". If you can, do that. If you cannot, choose "repair" and see what it says.

If that does not work, let us know if you are using a router or not, and if in the network connections you have any wireless icon.

#3 tunch

tunch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for the assistance.

Firewalls have been disabled. Local Connection does is enabled, with no errors (other than continously "aquiring network address). Still no luck.

This computer does not have wireless capabilities. The DSL modem cable is connected to a wireless router and this is then cabled to the computer (we run a wireless network for the various laptops in the house, the computer with the issues is not one of them). The wireless network is running fine and I have unplugged and replugged all the cables and even reset the wireless router and modem when we first encountered the problem.

It was working slow, but working, until I ran the regcure.

I appreciate your assistance.

#4 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:40 PM

Okay, let's try to rebind your TCP/IP.

When in the network connections window, right-click on "Local Area Connection" and choose "Properties". Find the line that says "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click on it, then click the "Properties" button. Make sure that it is set to automatically obtain an IP address. If it was not set to that, change it to this and then try to connect to the internet again.

If it was already set to automatically obtain, then just click "Okay" on that window, and now remove the checkmark beside "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and then click "OK" at the bottom. It will prompt you about disabling other services, just tell it to go ahead with that. Then right-click the "Local Area Connection" again and try "Properties". Re-add the check-mark beside "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click "Okay". Now right-click your "Local Area Connection" and try to "repair" and see if it now gets an IP.

Finally, if this does not work, just try unplugging the wireless router and connect your computer directly to the modem to see if that lets it get an IP.

#5 tunch

tunch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:59 PM

No luck with either the TC/IP or plugging directly in.

#6 tunch

tunch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:25 AM

Thank you for the suggestions.

The problem was repaired with the WinSock XP Fix download program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users