Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alexcraw

alexcraw

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 05:02 PM

I think we've got a virus. Can't get online at all. There are problems opening most folders like Recycle bin, Control panel etc. Tried to go into safe mode to install HJT and Adaware but the CD icon is missing from My comuter. There is no Autorun when I load the CD either. I put the disc in and the light blinks on the outside of the drive before remaining on constantly. How can I get this problem sorted. We are running Win98se.

Any help you may offer is much appreciated.

Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 06:59 PM

Win95/98 does not recognise CDROM drives in safe mode - sometimes a real Catch22.

Try this: Boot your system with a windows startup disk and choose the "with CDROM support" option. Then copy your CD's to a folder on the hard drive.
Now you can reboot in safe mode and access the folder.

Suggestion: Get an update for your anti-virus program online (using another system) and copy it onto the win98 system using the above method. Then update and run the anti-virus in safe mode.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 virusX

virusX

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:12 PM

Yes i'm here. :thumbsup: ok jokes aside. Well i think Rimmer's idea isn't so bad
go for it and try it !

Good luck

:flowers:

#4 alexcraw

alexcraw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:23 AM

Will the boot with a win98 boot disk go to the A: prompt or will it go to the desktop? If it goes to the a: prompt, how do I get the contents of the CD into a folder on C:?

Confused please bear with me - lol :thumbsup:

Alex

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:05 AM

Alex

You will arrive at the A: prompt, from there you need to use some old fashioned DOS commands to complete the task:
DIR - lists the files and folders in your current directory

Suppose DIR shows you have a folder called STUFF in other words A:\STUFF
CD STUFF - will change your current folder to STUFF so when you do DIR it will show you what is in it. "CD .." without quotes gets you back out of STUFF

If you want to look at a folder on the C: drive just type "C:" without quotes. Then use the above. While you are in C: do this
CD \
MKDIR BARN - this will make a folder called BARN on the C: drive.

Now type "E:" without quotes (this is probably your CDROM). Do a DIR to check you are where you should be.

Suppose you made a folder called SHED on the CDROM and you want to copy the contents to your new folder on the C: drive. Then you would do this:

C:
CD \
CD BARN
COPY E:\SHED\*.*

- then all the files in the CDROM folder SHED will be copied to the hard drive folder BARN. Note this will not copy the contents of subfolders. You need to do this for all the folders you have made on the CDROM (so the fewer the better).

If you get stuck HELP will show you a list of commands and <COMMAND> /? will show you the syntax.

Tip: keep the folder names as short as possible as DOS only alows 8 character names. You can get to prexisting folders with longer names but you have to use a truncated name format. Just use short names.

I hope this makes sense. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 alexcraw

alexcraw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:28 AM

Had a wee scoot into this world on a win 98 PC at work. I managed to get through your instructions OK Rimmer, so I am going to see the PC in question tonight, I'll let you know how it goes later.

Cheers

Alex

#7 alexcraw

alexcraw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:05 PM

Brilliant!

Great advice buddy. This worked a treat. Adaware and Spybot were good enough to clear the problems too, so all's well that ends well, eh?

Cheers

Alex

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:31 PM

That's good news! I'm very pleased I could help.

Thanks for letting us know the results :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users