Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New MB does not recognize new CPU

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Snare

Snare

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 03:55 PM

Hello and thank you for taking my call. :thumbsup:

I just installed a new MB, MSI KT7VA-L (I believe...I am at work and did not write it down from home..DOH!) which is supposed to support new AMD XP CPU's. I have upgraded froma 1.3 to a 3.0G CPU. However, the message I get on startup screens is "unknown ~1.3 processor" or similar. My computer WILL operate, but certainly not as a 3.0G I would like it to...!!

I am going to e-mail the board manufacturer, but thought I would ask ya'll for some info also! I 'preciate it!

Snare

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:51 PM

Might be a BIOS problem. I recently built a computer using an ASUS A8V Deluxe and an AMD 64 3000+. While researching it, I found that others had problems with the BIOS version being older than the processor. They had to download a new BIOS and flash it before being able to use the setup. (Luckily, ASUS supports BIOS being replaced from floppy even if the computer doesn't boot.)

Since you're able to run, check out the BIOS version and see if there's a newer one on the website. To check the BIOS version, click on Start -> Run and type msinfo32 into the box and hit enter. That will bring up system properties and your BIOS version and date will be listed.

Your motherboard should be supported here but you may have gotten the number wrong.

Let us know how it's going.

#3 Snare

Snare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:19 AM

This is what I have in msinfo32:
I see the BIOS version and the date. I also see that, again, my CPU is listed as "~1300 Mhz" when in fact it is an AMD XP 3000 Mhz....
I will check the site you listed for me. Thanks for the help... I will post my findings again. Thanks Herk! :thumbsup:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HOME
System Manufacturer MSI
System Model MS-6712
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1300 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. Version 07.00T, 4/2/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name HOME\######
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 640.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 384.03 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.53 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Mod edit: I removed the user name and substituted ##### instead for your protection.

Edited by KoanYorel, 29 April 2005 - 11:37 PM.

#4 Snare

Snare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:13 PM

Great! This is the response I got from MSI about my problem:

"Dear Customer,

This is normal since the KT4AV-L mb does not support the 400mhz FSB processors:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mai...?UID=456&kind=1

Sincerely,
Technical Support Division
MSI Computer Corp.
http://www.msicomputer.com "

When I go to the link provided above, there are TWO AXP ATHLON XP 3.0 G processors... one of them is "OK" one is "NO"... how can I tell which I have? I never supplied any info about WHICH CPU I had, only that it was an AMD Athlon XP 3.0 Ghz...

#5 Snare

Snare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:10 PM

Just got home from work and was able to check my new CPU...it is an AMD Athlon XP 3000-333Mhz processor, which is SUPPOSED to be supported by this moBo!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users