Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get rid of spyware

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JMackenzie

JMackenzie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 03:33 PM

Hi I've had spyware for about a week now, I've also read the spyware forum you guys have here but I can't seem to find anything to help me. I've been using AVG Free Edition, it used to detect something in the java cache that when I tried to clear history in internet options IE would freeze up or it would say "PowerPoint can't open" and I don't even have power point. But for some reason that has disappeared. I also use ad-aware by lavasoft, and spybot as you guys have suggested. Of course after I get rid of the spyware it just comes back after I start going online again, probably activated by the browser. Anyhow I want to know if there is anyway to get rid of these at all, I've looked around a bit and can't seem to find anything that really gets rid of them. I've provided some pics of a few things I get, hope you can help. Thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:50 PM

Run your security scans in Safe Mode.
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

If that doesn't work, I suggest you post a HijackThis log to be examined.

Read the pinned post in the HijackThis forum, here
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:57 PM

These all appear to be tracking cookies, certainly not the worst of problems. If these cookies continue to appear after deleting them in safe mode, then I would think you need to change your browser's cookie acceptance policy in IE so that it will always ask before accepting cookies (Internet Options/ Security /Advanced/ Cookies).

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 25 April 2005 - 05:06 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 JMackenzie

JMackenzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I haven't been able to get rid of them using the methods you said but I have put up a Hijackthis log. Hopefully they can figure it out, once again thanks.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:40 PM

Your welcome, JMackenzie.
Good luck with your HJT log.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 JMackenzie

JMackenzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:14 PM

Well they looked at my log and said nothing was wrong. They also said that if it was just tracking cookies I had nothing to worry about even if I order stuff online.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:38 AM

Have you done as jgweed suggested and changed your browser's cookie acceptance policy?

Open IE
Click Tools
Click Internet Options
Click the Privacy tab
Click the Advanced button
Put a check in Override automatic cookie handling
Under "First-party Cookies", check Prompt
Under "Third-party Cookies", check Block
Click OK
Click Apply
Click OK

This way you will be notified when a site tries to place a cookie on your computer, and you can either accept, or deny it.

#8 JMackenzie

JMackenzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:29 PM

I just did, and I have noticed that there aren't as many detections as before. Thanks guys

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:07 PM

Your welcome, JMackenzie.
Glad to be of help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users