Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nv4_disp.dll Stuck In Infinite Loop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blerdus

Blerdus

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

any one know how to fix this problem? i have other issues with the card but the infinite loop is the main one

p4 2.4
1gig ram
p4vm890 motherboard pcie 1 (is this the prob?)
200 gig Maxtor hd
geforce 9600gtxxx graphics with latest 177.79 beta drivers
300w 25a power supply. 12v rail seems a bit low at 11.235 (or is this the problem?)

iv tried the latest signed drivers and the original ones with the card and even older versions of the drivers. all give me the same prob
system will run all day and will sometimes crash on desktop with multi coloured artifacts on the screen and sometimes reboot but as soon as i load a 3d game it crashes to black screen a few seconds after the graphics are displayed.
when i first installed the card the only games that would run where serious sam 1 and Company of hero's.
since then iv had some viruses and nothing worked after that so i killed them and reformatted
now PC runs lovely but i cant play any games.
iv tried Driver Cleaner and before the format i even tried registry cleaners
also iv tried registry patches
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
changing PagedPoolSize to 256 mb and LargePageMinimum to ffffffff
and other patches from via arena. neither of them helped

am i missing something. please help. i wana play some games.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:57 AM

any one know how to fix this problem? i have other issues with the card but the infinite loop is the main one

p4 2.4
1gig ram
p4vm890 motherboard pcie 1 (is this the prob?)
200 gig Maxtor hd
geforce 9600gtxxx graphics with latest 177.79 beta drivers
300w 25a power supply. 12v rail seems a bit low at 11.235

iv tried the latest signed drivers and the original ones with the card and even older versions of the drivers. all give me the same prob
system will run all day and will sometimes crash on desktop with multi coloured artifacts on the screen and sometimes reboot but as soon as i load a 3d game it crashes to black screen a few seconds after the graphics are displayed.
when i first installed the card the only games that would run where serious sam 1 and Company of hero's.
since then iv had some viruses and nothing worked after that so i killed them and reformatted
now PC runs lovely but i cant play any games.
iv tried Driver Cleaner and before the format i even tried registry cleaners

The ATX 2.2 specs say +/-5% on all but the -12V line. Your measured value is a little out.

The 9600GT can draw 95W. A /good/ 300W PSU might deliver 20A on the +12VDC rail(s). Your P4 will draw another 70-100W. Games load the GPU which causes the power supply to wprk harder. I would not consider using a 300W PSU with your hardware.

A word about registry cleaners: don't

Nvidia has released driver cleanup utilities in the past. These are probably fine.

#3 Blerdus

Blerdus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

nice one daffy.

cheers for the advise. well im looking in to a new psu right now. hopefully all my probs will be solved then, till i upgrade me m/b and chip.
as for reg cleaners. i haven't used one on this install of win and i wont from now on :thumbsup:
btw y r they so bad?

#4 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:18 AM

nice one daffy.

cheers for the advise. well im looking in to a new psu right now. hopefully all my probs will be solved then, till i upgrade me m/b and chip.
as for reg cleaners. i haven't used one on this install of win and i wont from now on :thumbsup:
btw y r they so bad?

Thank you Blerdus.

For the most part registry cleaner programs do little good and have the potential to do great harm. Recouping a small amount of hard drive space is hardly worthwhile doing if the downside is a computer which does not boot. On the other side of the coin are applications designed to search for and remove /specific/ registry entries. When required, tools like these are quite valuable.

#5 Blerdus

Blerdus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

thanks mate
so i take it its better to search for specific registry probs than to do a general clean up.
well other than this crashing in 3d games i dont think i have any other probs. actually i have noticed that the splash screens to some games like diablo2 and chronicles of ridic and to my sound card are stuttery and also windows default screen savers are very slow especially beziers and flowerbox. ie. 1 line a second draw rate in full screen and flowerbox just appears slow
i spose i do have another prob. any ideas on that one. i only noticed this yesterday, i dont really use screen savers but i was fiddling around and i thought id see how the 3d screen savers run with this graphics card and as it stands not very well, which surprised me. i don't think iv got another infection, iv been through various checks with other members here on this site and all seems well on that side of things, so i figure it must be a setting somewhere or something but i dont know. got me stumped.

#6 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:51 AM

thanks mate
so i take it its better to search for specific registry probs than to do a general clean up.
well other than this crashing in 3d games i dont think i have any other probs. actually i have noticed that the splash screens to some games like diablo2 and chronicles of ridic and to my sound card are stuttery and also windows default screen savers are very slow especially beziers and flowerbox. ie. 1 line a second draw rate in full screen and flowerbox just appears slow
i spose i do have another prob. any ideas on that one. i only noticed this yesterday, i dont really use screen savers but i was fiddling around and i thought id see how the 3d screen savers run with this graphics card and as it stands not very well, which surprised me. i don't think iv got another infection, iv been through various checks with other members here on this site and all seems well on that side of things, so i figure it must be a setting somewhere or something but i dont know. got me stumped.

It's always best to correct specific registry issues one at a time.

I doubt the screen savers are the problem here Blerdus. Do try using a good quality power supply in place of your current 300W unit.

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quick...Key=11259,50113

As an experiment I suppose you could try a bottom of the line video card which draws very little power.

#7 Blerdus

Blerdus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:11 PM

hi again. got a new psu the other day. still having same prob.
there is an onboard graphics card which i could enable. or i think i might have an old matrox millenium somewhere but thats just a 2d card.
so if both cards crash then its not the card or psu. but what? m/b or ram i spose.
i'v swaped between 2 ram simms and still have the prob so my thought in it being ram are slim but not rulled out just sliding towards m/b.

any other sugestions are much appreciated.

psu is 650w

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users