Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello How To Remove Regsvr.exe Error On Mt System Start Up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jackcson christopher

jackcson christopher

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:10 AM

Hello,i have installed threat fire and it scanned the system.It identified and quarantined some viruses in my system.Along with them it quarantined regsvr.exe.Now when i start up the system every time the error message comes as "windows cannot find 'regsvr.exe'.Make sure you typed the name correctly,and then try again.To search for a file,click start button,and then click search."...
Please anybody help me to remove this problem from my system.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 12 September 2008 - 03:46 PM.
Move to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

Hello and welcome.
This is a common occurance after running malware removal tools. The removal of the malware has caused an Orphaned registry link. The program (malware)wants to start,windows doesn't know any beter and reports the Can' find,start etc.. errror. Fix that with this.

Download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.
Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.
Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns

I would like if you would run this scan Tool also,MBAM.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jackcson christopher

jackcson christopher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

Hello boopme,thank u for posting..
I downloaded and run the autorun program as u said and scanned the system.From the file menu i took find tool and searched for regsvr.exe.It shown msn linked regsvr.exe program and then i deleted it.Then i restarted my system,the regsvr.exe error message remains there.Its not gone.
Then i downloaded mbam and mbam update programs,run the program and performed the scan.I done everything as u said,it shown some results to remove,everything checked and i click remove selected.(I allowed my security programs for registry changes).It shown the log file and restarted the system.The regsvr.exe program is not gone.
The log file is here

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.28
Database version: 1139
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

9/15/2008 8:58:39 PM
mbam-log-2008-09-15 (20-58-39).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 58232
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 40 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 10
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bhonew.bho (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bhonew.bho.1 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{04a38f6b-006f-4247-ba4c-02a139d5531c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2b96d5cc-c5b5-49a5-a69d-cc0a30f9028c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{147a976f-eee1-4377-8ea7-4716e4cdd239} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9afb8248-617f-460d-9366-d71cdeda3179} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{a84e835e-1b9c-4fc0-980f-4b2da3c6a2a7} (Adware.Comet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{bf0a1ff4-bbaf-487f-bc85-a24ef8f443a8} (Adware.Comet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{3c2d2a1e-031f-4397-9614-87c932a848e0} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\ (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: ("regedit.exe" "%1") Good: (regedit.exe "%1") -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

The above is the log file.
For ur addtional information i saw in the quarantined results of my threatfire security program.There its available.It quarantined the regsvr.exe in two places as
C:\WINDOWS\system32regsvr.exe Trojan.Dropper
C:\WINDOWS\regsvr.exe Trojan.Dropper

And also i manually searched in my system for regvr.exe.The search shown a prefetch file as REGSVR.EXE-228A46E0.pf C:\Windows\Prefetch 26kb pf file

Thank u for helping me.Please help me further to remove this error message from my system.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:55 PM

Hello, please update the MBAM,your version is a bit outdated ,rescan and post another log, Let me know about the regsvr.exe again.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jackcson christopher

jackcson christopher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:46 PM

Hello i updated the mbam,and rescaned my system.There are no infected files.Please Read my additional details below the log file.The log file is:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.28
Database version: 1159
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

9/16/2008 8:10:35 AM
mbam-log-2008-09-16 (08-10-35).txt

Objects scanned: 58354
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 22 second(s)

Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

For ur addtional information i saw in the quarantined results of my threatfire security program.There its available.It quarantined the regsvr.exe in two places as
C:\WINDOWS\system32regsvr.exe Trojan.Dropper
C:\WINDOWS\regsvr.exe Trojan.Dropper

And also i manually searched in my system for regvr.exe.The search shown a prefetch file as REGSVR.EXE-228A46E0.pf C:\Windows\Prefetch 26kb pf file.
Thank u.

#6 3in1c

3in1c

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:01 AM

Hi Boopme,

I have tried the above and the error msg regsvr.exe appears again after the reboot. I did another scan, this time full scan instead of Quick Scan. There were no objects infected but the error still occurs.

What should I do next?

1st log
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1857
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3/17/2009 7:14:22 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-17 (19-14-22).txt

Objects scanned: 97407
Time elapsed: 14 minute(s), 35 second(s)

Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 5
Folders Infected: 3
Files Infected: 29

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nmdfgds0.dll (Spyware.OnLineGames) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\cdoosoft (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\explorer (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL\CheckedValue (Hijack.System.Hidden) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableRegistryTools (Hijack.Regedit) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableTaskMgr (Hijack.TaskManager) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFind (Hijack.Find) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFolderOptions (Hijack.FolderOptions) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\privacy_danger (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\privacy_danger\images (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\VideoAccessCodec (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdsslog.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssserf.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\x (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\TDSS97e.tmp (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\VideoAccessCodec\install.ico (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\VideoAccessCodec\Uninstall.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\m0vnonh.bat (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\o.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\olhrwef.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\cv22.cmd (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssadw.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssl.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssmain.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssinit.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssservers.dat (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\2fiy.bat (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\TDSSe879.tmp (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\TDSSee64.tmp (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Setup.exe (Rogue.Installer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\randy\Desktop\Spyware&Malware Protection.url (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\randy\Desktop\Privacy Protector.url (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\randy\Desktop\Error Cleaner.url (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\randy\Favorites\Error Cleaner.url (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\randy\Favorites\Privacy Protector.url (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\randy\Favorites\Spyware&Malware Protection.url (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\ios.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nmdfgds1.dll (Spyware.OnLineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\dbrxubcw.com (Spyware.OnLineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

2nd log
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1857
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3/17/2009 8:58:31 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-17 (20-58-31).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 185488
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 12 minute(s), 39 second(s)

Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Files Infected: 6

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\cdoosoft (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL\CheckedValue (Hijack.System.Hidden) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{E2502947-0659-44C8-8DFB-6240C959A6AB}\RP115\A0081807.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{E2502947-0659-44C8-8DFB-6240C959A6AB}\RP136\A0099744.sys (Trojan.KillAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{E2502947-0659-44C8-8DFB-6240C959A6AB}\RP137\A0099802.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{E2502947-0659-44C8-8DFB-6240C959A6AB}\RP137\A0099803.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\olhrwef.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Thank you.
Randy

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:22 AM

Hi you had a serious infection there...
I need to advise you of this ,as Tdds is a problem.
One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.

In the meantime
Its not unusual to receive such an error after using specialized fix tools.

A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message is usually related to malware that was set to run at startup but has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However, an associated orphaned registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

To resolve this, download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.

Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click Here if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.
Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.
(credit quietman7 for this fix)

#8 3in1c

3in1c

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

Hi Boopme,

I tried the Autorun again, but couldnt find the error file using both manual and find tool.

Looks like I need to search for the CDs for reformatting. Some files are not back up yet, will there be issue if I connect storage device to this pc?

#9 3in1c

3in1c

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:33 AM

By the way, what about doing System Restore?

Thanks

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

A system restore may stop the error message but will not remove the malware.

Not an unwise decision to make. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

The best proceedure is a low level format. This completely wipes the drive. Then reinstall the OS.
Use the free version of Active@ KillDisk.
Or Darik's Boot And Nuke

The best sources of Information on this are
Reformatting Windows XP
Michael Stevens Tech

Of course also feel free to ask anything on this in the XP forum. They'd be glad to help.

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe's, .scr, .com, .pif etc... as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users