Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grey Taskbar, No Start Button, Ctrl+alt+del Not Working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 teehom

teehom

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:41 AM

Hi all,

This is my first posting, although i have used some threads in the past to fix problems. may i just start by saying i really appreciate all the help offered on this site by the volunteers. you are providing a great service to all of us with limited computer skills.

here i s my problem:

i just restarted because photoshop would not open. upon logging in, my taskbar is now grey (no open programs show up on it), the start button is missing, and many of my desktop icons have a funky "bitmapp-ish" look top them. Task manager will not open, and when i try to download any programs (like adaware, or links at kelly's korner) the download window flashed for a milisecond and then disappears. i just started using this computer a month or so ago, and had not installed any of the spyware yet, and since i can't download anything now, i could not follow the procedures before posting this. i can't run any of the other apps that require using "run", because i can't get to it (no start button). when i press the "window" key, it does not bring up the start menu, only a very short menu with "xp safety and comfort guide", etc.

i am running windows xp professional on a hp compaq (can't give more specifics because when i choose properties for my computer, it does not show the usual info page)

please help
thanks

Edited by teehom, 12 September 2008 - 10:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:14 PM

Welcome to BleepingComputer

Before we get started with any lenghty fixes and cleanups, your infection may have given all your confidental information to the bad guys. Windows may be damaged beyond repair and if we can fix it, there are no guarantees we got it all. Knowing this if you would like to try to clean it up you will need a healthy computer and a usb drive.

If we can get safe mode working?

http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/safemodeboot.php
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 teehom

teehom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

Hi Chewy,

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling this was not going to be an easy fix.

No, F8 does not work. I do have access to a separate healthy computer (on it now), though.

What next?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:06 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=913677

Use sub's disinfector to immunize the clean computer and the usb drive

You can't even access the safe mode screen where you choose the different options?
no command prompt or last good?

Download this file to your Desktop: http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
Start the setup_.exe-file and click "Next".
The tool will be unzipped now to his own folder on the Desktop, confirm this by pressing "Next" again.
Now, click "Scan" to start the quick scan.
When it's finished, the found malware will be showed to you, press "Delete".
Now click the button "Reports" in the main screen and save the logfile to your Desktop.
Post this logfile in your next reply
After that you'll get this message: "Do you want to uninstall?", choose "Yes".
The tool will be deleted then.

this tool may not install, hopefully we can get that far tho

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=916491

here's a program that doesn't need to be installed to run, you could try it in normal mode
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users