Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Perflib_perfdata_44c, Perflib_perfdata_140

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jebus07

jebus07

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:23 AM

my OS is Windows XP SP3.

whenever i try to delete these C:\WINDOWS\temp\ Perflib_Perfdata_44c, Perflib_Perfdata_140 DAT file, an error pops up.

and it's like this:

Cannot delete Perflib_Perfdata_44c: It is being used by another person or program.
Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

and everytime the CPU Usage goes up to 100% in the task manager, it slows down, then poof! it will turn into a blue screen and the message in the blue screen is this:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The windows subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005(0x0055001c 0x0054f340)
The system has been shut down.

oh, by the way, the program that i was running that time are Warcraft III, Garena client, Yahoo Messenger 9.

i've tried to full scan using Malwarebytes, Avast, NOD32, Kaspersky(trial version) and yet these things are still here. I've also tried to delete them in Safe mode, but when i restart my PC. it keeps on coming back.

i don't know what else to do anymore. thanks for reading.. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:42 PM

Hello as I believe this is a system problem and not malware I am moving your topic to th XP forum . They will better assist you with this.

The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error. This error may have several causes. Among them are the following: Mismatched system files have been installed.
A Service Pack installation has failed.
A backup program that is used to restore a hard disk did not correctly restore files that may have been in use.
An incompatible third-party program has been installed.

How to troubleshoot a "STOP 0xC000021A" error

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;156669
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:56 PM

Those files you are trying to delete are lock files used by the system when services start up.

#4 jebus07

jebus07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:05 PM

Ahhh. Mr. cryptodan? are you 100% sure that this Perflib_perfdata_etc is not malicious or something?

well, thank you so much for the reply. i'll post again if something different comes up.

oh by the way, it's the third time just now that it happened, STOP: 0x0000008E whatever.

well, i'd better try to troubleshoot my pc soon. thanks again.

God Bless to you all. :thumbsup:

oh w8, can i ask one thing? umm, does a virus can lead your PC to a blue screen system error? just curious.. thanks.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:51 PM

No they are not malicious. I have a couple of those files as well. Posted Image

A virus can cause a blue screen of death.

Edited by cryptodan, 12 September 2008 - 05:59 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:57 AM

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/performla...loads/13660309/

Do you have the above program installed?

FWIW: Whether or not a file is malicious or potentially malicious...is also determined by the path/location of the file.

Louis

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:04 AM

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/performla...loads/13660309/

Do you have the above program installed?

FWIW: Whether or not a file is malicious or potentially malicious...is also determined by the path/location of the file.

Louis

Those files are there on fresh installs, they are simply file locks for other processes and programs.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:19 AM

Understood and appreciated :thumbsup:.

I just checked my system when you said that you had some...I found none.

I also wanted the OP to realize that filename alone does not indicate whether a file is malicious or not.

Louis

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:45 AM

This article suggests that the BSOD for STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} can be caused by Windows updates: http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-...stem-error.html

Although this is not exactly the same as your error (the status is different), you may want to try uninstalling those updates to see if it helps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users