Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Videos On Youtube Not Working In Firefox?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:35 AM

I use Firefox as my browser only using IE for updates etc. Last night I was watching videos clips on YouTube using Firefox but this morning although everything else seems correct about YouTube I only have a blank white space where the video usually plays.
I came here earlier and did a search and found out it might be an older version of the Adobe flashplayer so I did a scan with FileHippo Update checker which found new versions of Adobe flashplayer and AIR which I downloaded and installed after removing the earlier versions from my PC.
After this I still don't have a viewer in YouTube. I decided to open up IE and try there and find that YouTube is working fine in IE the video screen is showing and also playing everything normally. Therefore the problem seems to be with Firefox. I haven't changed or altered anything in my Firefox set up since last night so can anyone offer any help here. Is the problem with me or is it with something else.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:35 AM

This is a flash test page, what does it come up with in Firefox?

Edited by arcman, 12 September 2008 - 08:36 AM.

Posted Image

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:35 AM

It was reported a couple of weeks ago that there are unresolved issues between Firefox and Flash and both Mozilla & Adobe have admitted to being slow to resolve them.

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:13 PM

Yes folks it was some sort of problem with Flash and Firefox. I downloaded a new Adobe flash installation but for some unknown reason it still wouldn't work. I found a page on Google where somebody had a similar problem. To cut a long story short I decided to download a complete new Adobe set ie Reader9, AIR, Flash for both IE and Firefox. I also downloaded a new Firefox v3. I uninstalled all of them and deleted all their folders in Program Files and Settings & Applications. I then reinstalled Adobe first and then Firefox and now it is all working again.

Prior to uninstalling Firefox I made a copy of my bookmarks from the Profiles folder and put it in a folder on my desktop. After reinstalling it and checking that it was all working I put the copied bookmarks in the new profiles folder but they do not show up in Bookmarks. Is there another way to do this or does it mean I have lost them forever?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:23 PM

In Firefox go to the Bookmarks menu and select Organize Bookmarks, you can import the backed up HTML file from there.
Posted Image

#6 surgirl

surgirl

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:29 AM

I have been experiencing problems with flash media on firefox for awhile now. Youtube will load and the first few seconds will play without sound, but then it stops. The same thing happens with other flash based videos.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:56 PM

Again, this is a conflict between Firefox 3 & Flash 9 that has yet to be resolved. Flash 10 was released in Beta yesterday. You might want to try that.

#8 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:06 AM

As I said in my previous post it was a problem with Flash. In the end I uninstalled all Adobe software deleted the folders in Program files and hidden files and folders and then reinstalled new downloads of Adobe. The thing I noticed doing this was that although I downloaded new versions of Reader 9, AIR, Flash for IE, Flash for non IE. I installed the Adobe Reader 9 first and all the others were bundled with it which left me with the other three downloads to delete. I wonder if the problem I had began with using Secunia which told me a newer version of AIR was available. On downloading the upgrade and installing it seems to coincide with my original problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users