Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shut Down Hangs At 'saving Your Settings...'

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jayparmar

jayparmar

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:42 AM

Hi,

I have Service Pack 3 and all the latest updates for my laptop. My laptop was working fine until a few days ago, where I clicked Turn Off... and left it to shutdown, and when I came back, it was STILL shutting down. Since then, i've had to start holding down the power button to manually turn the laptop off.

Is there any help out there???

I am a reasonably experienced computer user, but this one has stumped me!

Jay Parmar

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 christmascarol73

christmascarol73

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:32 AM

Hi Jay,
I am having similar issue with my XPS Dell desktop machine. Also have SP3/XP. Have requested help here as well. My pc is about 8 months old, problem started about a month ago.... many weeks after installing SP3 so don't think that is the issue.
With mine, my machine shuts to shut down, goes black for a second, and then starts shutting down all over again. And shut down seems to be taking longer & longer to complete. Hoping someone here can offer some help.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:47 AM

Hi,

I have Service Pack 3 and all the latest updates for my laptop. My laptop was working fine until a few days ago, where I clicked Turn Off... and left it to shutdown, and when I came back, it was STILL shutting down. Since then, i've had to start holding down the power button to manually turn the laptop off.

Is there any help out there???

I am a reasonably experienced computer user, but this one has stumped me!

Jay Parmar

Look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the time that this is happening. Each error will have its own date and time shown.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow trinangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

Try closing down all applications in the system tray first before shutting down. If the issue still arises then something isn't being asked to shut down like a service or something.

Sometimes when a process is hung in the system tray (location by the clock) a long shutdown process will arise. GO to msconfig and shut off all application to start up when windows starts up. Apply the settings then reboot, this might hang for you. The next time you reboot it shouldn't hang. Keep adding processes back one at a time until the issue arises. Make note of the application and reinstall it or check for updates. That is if it is an important program you use like Instant Messengers or what not.

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:08 AM

I found this program useful for shutting down, may help.

I have Dell Dimension 4600, XPHome, SP3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users