Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Recovery?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Armed101

Armed101

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:27 AM

Ok yall,
Ive got a little problem with one of my PCs. I might have to reformat it because I have tried everything possible to get this virus off and i think it would be better to just reformat the hard drive. I cant access the desktop because of the virus and it freezes up my pc when it boots to the desktop. So I think it would be much easier to reformat and then be done with it. I need to get a few things off of the Drive though... Like I have some photos on the desktop in folders and such... I have another PC and a Laptop which are in perfect working order. Is there a way that I can unhook the harddrive and then put it in my other PC then get the stuff that I want off? If so how do I do it... I know that it isnt the SATA its has the other type with all of the PIN's. What would yall recommend? Should I get some sort of software? Im pretty PC literate except I dont understand that much about hard drives. Any help would be greatly appreciated... :thumbsup: Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:31 AM

I've sort of got the same problem, but it's a friend's computer with a whole lot of pictures she doesn't want to lose. Tried putting it in the freezer for awhile, but that didn't work.

It's making a lot of noise and clicks every now and then.

Didn't want to start another thread on the same thing, will read what comes out of this one and hopefully that'll help, thanks!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:34 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

You can always remove the hard drive...and then temporarily install/attach it to another system as a secondary drive...run a good AV program on it...and then try to move whatever data files you want.

I would not even think of moving anything from that drive...until it has been thoroughly scanned by a reliable AV program.

Louis

#4 Armed101

Armed101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:05 PM

So basicallly you just plug it into the slave port on the ribbon cable and then the PC will recognise it? Of couse i will need to move the jumper to slave on the back of the hard drive.... Do i have to change something in the bios? I will definitly scan it I have a real good scanner on my other PC. Then should I be able to see everything on that drive by exploring it?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:36 PM

This is all an attempt...nothing more than an attempt.

If the drive were in good condition, this would work. We have no guarantees that the drive IS in good condition, which is why we are trying this.

<<So basicallly you just plug it into the slave port on the ribbon cable and then the PC will recognise it?>>

No, you must also connect the power supply connector properly and set the jumper properly. If your drive on the end connector is set at C/S, then set the jumper for the drive from your system for C/S. If the drive on the end connector is set at Master, then set the jumper for your drive to Slave.

<<Do i have to change something in the bios?>>

Maybe...depends on how your BIOS is set up. Older systems and BIOS setups included manual detection of drives, which included a setting for auto-detect. The easy thing to do is to just enter the BIOS after you boot and ensure that it is properly detected as a secondary drive.

<<Then should I be able to see everything on that drive by exploring it?>>

That is correct. You may not be able to access Docs & Settings or My Computer folders initially but copy or move them anyway. Your WAB and your email files are in the Docs & Settings, only you know what's in My Computer.

Post back with results, questions :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:18 PM

Tried putting mine into a external HD enclosure, but that didn't work either, just a lot of noise. Not sure if you're getting that same thing, but think this one's toast. Told her and she wasn't too pleased, but what can you do if she doesn't backup. I sure do!

#7 jasper2424

jasper2424

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:10 PM

I have a similar problem, but i took the problem Hard drive (sata) out and installed it in my older (ide) driven comp'.
I tried to install the problem one as a slave drive (on the slave connector on the ribbon), had the jumper set to MASTER on the IDE drive but, when i started the comp' back up it would only start up with the problem H'drive as the primary, and my usual one as the D drive.
Tried every conceivable permutation but made no difference......any ideas????????

Should i have changed the position of the jumper?????

#8 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:38 AM

I need to get a few things off of the Drive though... Like I have some photos on the desktop in folders and such... I have another PC and a Laptop which are in perfect working order. Is there a way that I can unhook the harddrive and then put it in my other PC then get the stuff that I want off? If so how do I do it... I know that it isnt the SATA its has the other type with all of the PIN's. What would yall recommend? Should I get some sort of software? Im pretty PC literate except I dont understand that much about hard drives.

You can connect your IDE hard drive to another PC using a 40 pin ribbon cable. Another option is to boot from a Knoppix CD which will mount the Windows partitions read-only. At this point you can drag and drop your files to a USB thumbdrive; upload, or burn them to a CD-R. It's a great tool.

ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/

#9 Armed101

Armed101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:22 PM

:thumbsup: Mission Accomplished!!! :flowers: Did everything like yall said and it worked perfectly... Thank you so much!!!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:04 PM

Nice work, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor