Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home Repair

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 daic

daic

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:27 PM

The other day when i turned on the computer, there was a mess of problems.
First off most of the programs are out of start menu, icons are missing, desktop wallpaper will not show up (unless at very first start of computer or when shutting down, it appears for a few seconds). This sounds to me like a Hijack type of thing.

So i tried to run System Restore (since i had recently put on SP3) but its not in the start menu, i searched for it in the windows directory and when i double click it tells me it cant protect my comp, and restart and try again. (seems most things i cant run-even tried to use Search from start menu,gives an error for that, but i can run IE.

I have put my XP cd in to do a repair install-it didnt show ANY of my partitions (i have 1 HD with 2 partitions, and an external usb HD) and then the comp blue screened and that was that.

Now i can load to recovery console but cant remember the commands i should use to reinstall windows back to SP1 and re update.

Any help?

~thanks
daic.

EDIT: Would it be easier to use the F11 command that came with the gateway computer, and have it save a backup of files to the C: and reinstall like that? (Trying to avoid a format if possible, but will have to see)

Edited by daic, 11 September 2008 - 06:32 PM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [OS] Windows 10 Pro x64 | 17.3" Touchscreen Windows 10 Pro x64
  • [Motherboard] Intel DZ87KLT-75K
  • [Power Supply] Zalman ZM850-HP Plus 850W
  • [HDD] Seagate Hybrid STCL2000400 2TB | 256 GB SSD
  • [Case] Zalman GS1200
  • [CPU] i5-4440 Processor | Lenovo Y70 Touch (80DU00ESUS) Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
  • [Memory] CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 | 16 GB Memory
  • [Graphics] ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users