Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Os Loading Problem (i Think..)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DieselHopper

DieselHopper

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:46 PM

Alright I'm using an IBM Thinkpad T43 1875 DLU Laptop and this morning it was working perfectly fine but was acting a little slow. So I restarted it. The IBM page loaded and then it went to a black screen; I thought this was just some usual loading but it stayed at the black screen, doing nothing. After a few seconds any key I press on the keyboard makes an annoying beeping sounds. The keys that do not do this are Ctrl, Alt and Delete. Pressing them together just restarts the computer again; taking me to the IBM Page. The only thing I can do here is press the "Access IBM" button which gives me the option to load a booting list, start up my BIOS, resue and recovery, and something else that has no relevance that I cannot think of right now. Unfortunately, I bought this computer used, so I do not have a Recovery CD. I called Lenovo and they are going to send me a box to send it in but I need this computer for school so I was wondering if anyone here could help me out or suggest something so I did not have to rely on this.

P.S. The only thing that may have caused a problem, but which I highly doubt, is that the night before I tried to load a Knoppix Linux live CD but I soon found out that Laptops are not great at loading Knoppix and it would not load. So this shouldn't have had an effect on it but I just thought I would say that if it helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:45 PM

Have you removed the Linus CD from the drive, it could possible be try to boot from this.

Are you able to boot up into safe mode?

Start at the basic's

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 DieselHopper

DieselHopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:31 AM

Okay I found out the problem and also I called IBM again. Apparently a file is corrupt or missing under the name of \system32\ntoskrnl.exe. This file corruption is sometimes a cause of boot.ini corruption, so that would explain my situation. IBM said that the only thing I can do is put all my information on an external harddrive since I do not have a backup saved on my computer and then restore to factory default.

Yes I can go in to safe mode. Do you think I could somehow rebuild the boot.ini using the Knoppix Live CD?

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:18 AM

From what I've read you'd need a Windows CD to be able to repair the missing/corrupt file ntoskrnl.exe, as you need to run the repair to replace the missing/corrupt file. Do you know anyone who has a CD lying about that you could borrow?

Unless anyone else has another method...

E-Mu

Edited by Emu1616, 12 September 2008 - 07:19 AM.

~ E-Mu ~

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:41 AM

In a school environment...someone should have an XP (whatever) CD that you could either borrow or burn a copy of. Must be Home, if you have Home installed...Pro if you have Pro installed.

I would try to boot from that into the Recovery Console and try to run the fixboot and the fixmbr commands and see if that does anything positive.

Louis

#6 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:34 AM

If you do manage to get hold of an XP CD:

:woot: Insert your Xp disk into the CD drive, choose the boot from command prompt option in the menu that you are presented with
:trumpet: At the command prompt, type in the following:
:flowers: Copy d:\I386\Driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe /v
:cool: Where d is the letter of your cd drive
:cool: Press enter
:inlove: Take the CD out when verified and reboot your computer

Just thought id add incase i don't get a chance to check the thread over the weekend and you managed to get a copy of XP, didnt want to keep you waiting. I have a bit of decorating to do so the PC will be offline :thumbsup: :huh:

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

#7 DieselHopper

DieselHopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. Once my friend gets back from Ocean City I will use his CD to recover.

#8 DieselHopper

DieselHopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:48 PM

Sorry for the double post. E-mu you said that I should use that method to replace the ntoskrnl.exe file but if this is a result of corrupted boot.ini file, shouldn't I replace that?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,390 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:29 AM

I would try to repair...via the Recovery Console...before I replaced anything. If the repair isn't successful, then I would go to alternate strategies.

Just the way I approach things :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:18 AM

sometimes a cause of boot.ini corruption

That is what i picked out from your earlier post, if its a case that once we have repaired/replaced the ntoskrnl.exe file and your still having issues then we can look at boot.ini corruption.

It also comes down to what you prefer doing, as louis said he prefers to run the repair function, whereas myself i prefer to repair files one by one and then i can try to pin point whats caused what and then research this at a later date etc...

If you feel more comfortable using the repair option by all means go ahead....it's your pc at the end of the day.

Whichever you choose we can work with that, post back with your results.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,390 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:51 AM

FWIW: If you try repairing, then the commands I suggest using are the fixmbr and/or the fixboot commands.

A decent link: http://askbobrankin.com/fix_mbr.html

When asked for a password in the Recovery Console, just ignore it and hit Enter to move to the next segment where you can actually type commands.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users