Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question Of The Day

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Elijohnson

Elijohnson

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

Is Vista still sucking and i am better off using my xp pro or should i use the home edition sp 1 and i am a gamer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:42 PM

I have Vista SP1 running on my PC and XP Sp3 running on my laptop and i myself prefer to use my PC.

I have never had an issues with Vista and find it easy as pie to use. If your a gamer, do you have a video card etc... i would defo recomend checking to see if your current equip is going to be compatible with vista befpre anything else. Is the a new build/buy or an upgrade?

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:09 PM

hi,,, if your gaming on the pc you will need an 8 series or up nvidia and the equivelent ati,,, and the more ram the merrier,, on 32bit it will only see and use 3.2 gb of ram though,,, so if your going to go for large amounts of ram then go for 64bit.
modern games are now heading in the direction of multi core's and dx10 and vista,,, my machine plays anything, very well, including old games, most of vista prolems happend when people upgraded an xp computer to vista,,, vista already pre installed usally runs very well.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

I'd say it depends upon the power of you computer and the particular game.
If I were you I'd do more research at gaming/optimization/tweaking forums.

Vista can be frustrating when your CPU dips because all of a sudden the Vista operating system
is doing some mysterious "background" task. This is probably less of a problem with a more powerful
computer, but my dual core 1.8 GHz Vista Home Premium computer with 3GB of RAM had to be heavily
tweaked to keep it from interrupting my work and play. It still does occasionally too. It's damned
mysterious.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:13 PM

With a powerful PC Vista SP1 runs well, older sub 2GHz processors, or single core processors, will not have a good time with the OS. I had a 2.4GHz dual-core PC with 4 GB of RAM and Vista runs well on that one.

3939.png

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:30 PM

If you plan on upgrading your computer yourself you may as well get an OEM copy of Vista when you order the parts, or if you're ordering a complete PC or laptop go ahead and use Vista on it (you probably won't have any choice anyway, though, so...)

Basically if XP is working OK for you and you don't plan on upgrading your hardware anytime soon you're probably better served sticking with it.
If you're getting a new PC there's no good reason not to get it with Vista unless you have a VERY specific need with legacy hardware or applications (corporate implementations and broad network issues notwithstanding). Vista's UAC and the 64-bit version's capability to address >3GB of RAM are worth it.
Posted Image

#7 Elijohnson

Elijohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:40 AM

well this some of what my computer looks like so far

Manufacturer:
HP Pavilion 061
Processor:
Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory:
2046MB RAM
Hard Drive:
320 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Monitor:
Default Monitor
Sound Card:
Realtek HD Audio rear output
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard:
USB Root Hub
Mouse:
USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System:
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Motherboard:
ASUS
Computer Case:

and i beileve that the processor is dual 3.00

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:24 AM

Try to upgrade to SP3, and also what kind of games do you play?

#9 Elijohnson

Elijohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

actually did put sp3 on there
and i play spore titan quest fable neverwinter nights mercenaries 2 grand theft auto 25 to life star wars alot of first person shooters and rpgs and the problem that i am seeing is that maybe its my dual processor not working so good cuz my computer freezes up and skips in the game some times

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:46 PM

It could be a combination of your CPU and your Entry to low mid-range video card. Before you get Vista, I would consider getting at least a 8800GT or faster video card. And maybe if your motherboard supports it a Core 2 Duo processor.

#11 Elijohnson

Elijohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:56 PM

so you saying that an 8600 gts is not good enough

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:28 PM

Its not as powerful to handle DX10 games. It can do DX9 games, but not very well.

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:40 PM

Its not as powerful to handle DX10 games. It can do DX9 games, but not very well.

Indeed, if you want DirectX10 games you will need a DX10 capable card and Vista.

3939.png

#14 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

If you're looking for a less expensive gaming card the 8800GT's are going for pretty cheap these days, and that will hose an 8600.
For a better card that's still a middle-of-the-road price go for the ATI 4850's. If you're more for going all out, the good performance cards these days are the 4870's.
Posted Image

#15 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:19 PM

Is Vista still sucking and i am better off using my xp pro or should i use the home edition sp 1 and i am a gamer

Nope I Think after the first service pack. It's running much better. I use Vista Ultimate X64 and have no issues. Other then Some games I load Give's me a message.. "This game was tested with WINDOWS XP x86" All I have to do is push Ok and it still loads just fine. :huh:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users