Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall Windows Xp With I386 Files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Narrisah

Narrisah

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:36 PM

I have been infected with trojans and backdoor agent and have done so many things to try and fix it . As well as having a ton of stuff on here i don't want or need and would like to know how i can reinstall the Windows XP back to "factory fresh" condition. I bought my computer from Dell and it did not come with any Windows CD . Someone told me that the I386 files are the ones to use to reinstall Windows XP but i haven't got a clue how to do it or if after being infected by trojans/worms if i should do so.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

Dells normally come with a restore CD set - but I have heard of a few with only a recovery partition. What's the exact model of your Dell?
Dell will normally provide you with a copy of the restoration disks if you call them up - in some cases I've even seen them sent for free.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 crappybob

crappybob

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:46 PM

Just borrow a XP CD and use the key thats on the XP sticker on your current computer. If you do this you will need to go to dells website and download all the drivers for your model and put them on CD or somthing first so you can load them up after a fresh install.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:11 PM

Just borrow a XP CD and use the key thats on the XP sticker on your current computer. If you do this you will need to go to dells website and download all the drivers for your model and put them on CD or somthing first so you can load them up after a fresh install.

Make sure the copy of XP is the same as the copy of XP on the machine.

XP Home keys will not work on XP Pro and vice versa.

OEM keys will not work on Retail CD's and vice versa.

#5 Narrisah

Narrisah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:10 PM

I have asked everyone i know if they have a Windows XP home edition CD and not one of them has one or knows anyone who does . My computer is

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002

Manufactered by
Dell Dimension DIM3000
Intel ®
Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz
2.79 GHz, 512MB RAM

I made a CD that is called Win XP_SP2_Per (D:)

under Properties tab it lists

ST34001 4A Disk drives Floppy disk drive
HL-DT-ST CDRW GCE-8483B
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR 8163B

IS THIS THE SAME AS HAVING A WINDOWS XP CD TO REINSTALL WINDOWS XP?
and if so what steps do i take to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP home edition
I need instructions that "a complete idiot" can understand

Edited by Narrisah, 12 September 2008 - 01:37 AM.

#6 crappybob

crappybob

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:00 AM

Well you need to find out if that CD is bootable. And the best way to do that is the put the CD in your computer and restart it. Also make sure that your bios is set to boot to the CD before the hard drive. To get into the bios you usually need to press a certain key right after powering on the computer. Sometimes the delete key or F10 or F2 on some dells.

Once you get to the bios look for a section called boot order and make sure your cd rom comes before your hard drive.

If that is the way it’s set up and your cd still doesn’t boot then you will probably have to find another XP cd.

#7 wombat_1945

wombat_1945

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:15 PM

Performing a factory System Recovery with Dell.

If you own a Dell computer system, you will be able to quickly and easily restore your Dell PC to factory condition in a few quick and easy steps. This article will discuss some of the methods Dell uses in making sure its clients are able to revert their system in the event the operating system, drivers or settings become corrupt beyond repair.

Use the Dell system restore that came with the computer.

Follow this guide on how to do it from here... http://www.pctechbytes.com/dell.htm

Edited by wombat_1945, 12 September 2008 - 05:15 PM.

Wombat's: Bulldozers of the bush...

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:58 AM

Dell computers normally come with a stack of CD's. One will be labeled something like "Operating System" and is (most times) a different color from the rest of the blue CD's. That is the bootable XP CD that you'll need.

If you don't have that CD, I'd suggest contacting Dell for a replacement set.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:10 AM

Order CD at bottom of page
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users