Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Operation Has Been Cancelled Due To Restrictions ...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Steve Conaway

Steve Conaway

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

I got suckered into opening an email with the title "CNN Alert" and then went one step further to prove my stupidity by clicking the URL in the email. It was immediately clear that my computer was now infected because I couldn't regain control of my computer until I rebooted. But the most annoying consequence was getting the following message every time I tried to select Tools/Options in IE7 "The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Contact the system administrator."

I scoured the internet for over 2 weeks looking for a way to remove this malware. I tried every anti-virus, spyware removal and registry tool I could find with out any success. I was about to give up and reformat my hard drive when I read about ComboFix.exe in this forum. I didn’t see my exact symptoms but I had nothing to loose. To my surprise and relief ComboFix removed the malware.

I’m posting this story so that others that have the same problem will have an easier time finding the fix. ComboFix can be found here: Link Removed ~ OB

I’m also posting this story as a way of thanking the staff of bleepingcomputer and especially the author of ComboFix for making this malware removal tool available. The people freely providing their time to support this forum are doing a marvelous job and deserve our appreciation.

--Steve

Edited by Orange Blossom, 14 September 2008 - 12:12 PM.
Remove link and move to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:21 PM

Hello Steve Conaway and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

I'm glad you were able to resolve your problems through our resources. We truly appreciate your thanks. It brightens our day to know that we have been able to help. To ensure that you are completely malware free, you may wish to post in the Am I Infected forum giving as complete an explanation as possible, but please do not post any logs there unless requested.

You were quite fortunate with the results of running Combofix. Others are not so lucky. Please note that Combofix is an extremely powerful tool and is intended to be used under the guidance of a malware removal expert. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Once again, welcome to Bleeping Computer and happy surfing.

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 14 September 2008 - 12:28 PM.
Add content. ~ OB

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users