Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop, Taskbar, Icons Reappear And Disappear Several Seconds, Cannot Use Tools Or Get Online.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nerdful Things

Nerdful Things

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

I will keep pursuing getting mbam or something to work, but here are my details of last 2 hours of work, and searching Google and here. (Less than 4 char search is annoying).
Following rules:
Already a member here.
2. Managed to run cleanmgr cli. Please note there is something like 7 seconds desktop is available. Before catching enough time to run cleanmgr, I was able to do this in a term window:
C:\temp: DIR shows file not found. RD says dir not empty. OK. left that.
c:/windows/temp lots of files did *.* and RD. ok.
After that I ran cleanmgr, not compress files, clean everything. It seemed to do so.
3. Safe mode still has come and go desktop, so unable to get into my computer long enough to get mbam off a usb key.
FYI This is a laptop running XP home with a SATA drive. At worst I'll remove drive and plug it in a desktop.
I have a computer online listening for email, a couple others for burning cd, usb d/l etc.

So now I await your advice here. In meantime I may try to pursue the problem. Possibly loading my Linux live cd, trinity rescue etc, but if responded to here, will let you take over.
My email is live and awaiting a response.
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:23 PM

I am a hardware and PCLOS geek

Run xp(the correct version) as a repair disk and then we will procede from there
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 RockMaster

RockMaster

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:30 PM

I will keep pursuing getting mbam or something to work, but here are my details of last 2 hours of work, and searching Google and here. (Less than 4 char search is annoying).
Following rules:
Already a member here.
2. Managed to run cleanmgr cli. Please note there is something like 7 seconds desktop is available. Before catching enough time to run cleanmgr, I was able to do this in a term window:
C:\temp: DIR shows file not found. RD says dir not empty. OK. left that.
c:/windows/temp lots of files did *.* and RD. ok.
After that I ran cleanmgr, not compress files, clean everything. It seemed to do so.
3. Safe mode still has come and go desktop, so unable to get into my computer long enough to get mbam off a usb key.
FYI This is a laptop running XP home with a SATA drive. At worst I'll remove drive and plug it in a desktop.
I have a computer online listening for email, a couple others for burning cd, usb d/l etc.

So now I await your advice here. In meantime I may try to pursue the problem. Possibly loading my Linux live cd, trinity rescue etc, but if responded to here, will let you take over.
My email is live and awaiting a response.
Thanks in advance.

I've dealt with the same infection, and there's an easy way to get MBAM to run, and if it is the same thing, it will clean it out very quickly. All you have to do is run the task manager and kill the explorer.exe process, then hit File>New task(Run). Navigate to MBAM. The flashing shouldn't effect this in the least. Run it and it should deal with the problem handily, no reinstall needed.
Yes, I am addicted to Orson Scott Card. Can't...stop...reading...

#4 Nerdful Things

Nerdful Things
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:04 PM

Here is an update.
While awaiting a response things happened here, but I will post the following in a nutshell.
This was a DOA laptop from a friend's friend, so I have no idea of their habits except when I got it, I was told the virus was out of date.
I said ok, I will fix your power supply problem and I will put the free AVG on it for you.
It was only after bringing it back to life, testing the whole thing out with a live cd, online etc. I didn't have a logon PW so I waited till I got one to put on the AVG.
At first boot, I got a yahoo chat sign in window, normal for this user I assumed, and and a spysweeper window saying it was expired from Webroot.
The resetting desktop I thought at first was spysweeper trying to get online or update or something, so I stopped it in the task manager.
Then I found that there was more of a problem and came here after googling all morning.
While awaiting Chewy, and about to look for my own home XP disk, as I did not have the laptop one, I decided to try and run mbam from the key by cli and booted it in unsafe normal xp mode.
When the Spysweeper window came up, I thought, I wonder if it can scan even if outdated so i let it run.
It found a pile of sticy cookies and 2 files ofTrojan:Win32/Vundo.BR and Trojan:Win32/Vundo.gen!h.
I let it quarantine them and rebooted. XP Update balloon pops up: Updates have been downloaded etc. It had not been online, so was left over from July MS patch it seems. After the update installed (still never been online since I had it except with the live CD and never having mounted the NTFS drive then), It used the malicious file remover tool and fixed the resetting desktop problem.
I had noted Vundo and disappearing taskbar problems as one thing to pursue,
another was overwriting explorer.exe with a fresh copy from another machine, and a couple registry change items.
So thanks Chewy for prompt response. Take me off your todo list. I will now start over treating the computer as one to "check for malware" with the tools and hope it is cured.
At least I hope the keywords in my subject will get others to read here for some info.
Thanks again.
Oh and thanks, Rock, would have tried that maybe cli to the usb key and run it, but is moot now.
P.S. How do I edit subject line? I like to ad "solved" when I have found an answer to my posts.

Edited by Nerdful Things, 11 September 2008 - 02:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users