Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop: Black Screen Of Death?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Canucker

Canucker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

It's like sticking your head in a garbage bag; primarily because you're only seeing black, but also because you get a feeling you're dealing with junk.

I've had this HP Pavilion laptop for just over a year now, and it has caused me nothing but problems. For contextual purposes I will elaborate. First, in May, a purely mechanical defect, as the screen's framework was falling completely to bits due to a faulty screw near the base. I bring it back to Staples, where my less-than computer savvy parents bought it one Christmas, pay the fee for repairs up-front, and incur repeated delays and apologies from the company. I get it back in early September / late August, just in time for the new university semester.

Since getting it back, however, the screen has periodically gone completely black, leaving me with no alternative other than to power it down and start it back up again. This would fix the problem. (There is also an issue in that my wireless function ceased to work out of the blue). It's probably not the right way to shut down a computer (holding the button), but I could see no other way. Literally. That is, until today, when such an incident occured again, with the exception that my laptop wont start up properly - in fact, it wont start up at all. The lights on the keyboard turn on with the button, and you can clearly hear some internal noises, but the screen remains totally dead. Then the lights go off, the power button flashes before they turn on again, and I assume from this that it's trying to restart once more (leading me to speculate it's more than a mere display problem).

It's one problem after another with this machine, and I apologize if my frustration beams into my post; I'm not the smartest person with computers, but I don't treat them carelessly and I keep them in safe locations. Moreover, I work in retail myself, and I don't like seeming like a snobbish or rude customer. Maybe it's a cliche customer complaint, but I can't help but feel I (or moreso, my parents) was robbed by a store that just seems to do a shoddy job. These things are expensive, especially when you're on a very fixed budget.

If anyone can lend some insight as to what this problem might be, I'd be very appreciative.

Thank you for your time.

- Mike

Edited by Canucker, 11 September 2008 - 12:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First thing I'd do...is plug a monitor in, to see if it is just the display that is preventing vision.

I understand your aggravation...I can only say that's business, IMO. Which is why it helps to be an "informed consumer" when spending.

Louis

#3 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:26 AM

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you have a Nvidia graphics card (probably a 8000 series)?

If you do, then check out my topic:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/168481/nvidia-gpu-meltdown-widespread-problem/

Edited by BlueScreenDeath, 12 September 2008 - 01:26 AM.

#4 Canucker

Canucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:48 AM

Thank you for the replies.

I tried using an external monitor, but it wouldn't respond at all; I'm not sure if there's a compatability issue there, or whether it's a sign of something more serious.

BlueScreenDeath, as a matter of fact, my machine does have a nVidia graphics card. I'm not sure of the series. It wasn't purchased through Dell, but I suppose that doesn't really matter. If it is part of a widerspread problem as indicated by the articles you posted in your thread, then I guess I'm the same boat as you; screwed. Our symptoms appear to be the same.

Depressing.

I'll have to get my folks to track down their warrenty, but something tells me this will be an even bigger fight with Staples than it was last time.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:30 AM

Staples is merely a retailer...if you have warranty issues, you need to go to the system manufacturer for valid information.

Louis

#6 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

Thank you for the replies.
I tried using an external monitor, but it wouldn't respond at all; I'm not sure if there's a compatability issue there, or whether it's a sign of something more serious.
BlueScreenDeath, as a matter of fact, my machine does have a nVidia graphics card. I'm not sure of the series. It wasn't purchased through Dell, but I suppose that doesn't really matter. If it is part of a widerspread problem as indicated by the articles you posted in your thread, then I guess I'm the same boat as you; screwed. Our symptoms appear to be the same.
Depressing.
I'll have to get my folks to track down their warrenty, but something tells me this will be an even bigger fight with Staples than it was last time.

Yeh, it doesn't affect just Dell. It affects anyone with a laptop that has an Nvidia 8000 series graphics card.

I was looking over a list, and it said many people using Asus, HP, Dell, Compaq, Apple-Mac, etc were affected...basically any laptop that has the 8000 series GPU.

Yep, we are truly in the same boat. Although you're better off since your warranty is still valid. :D

I hope the people suing Nvidia will win...cuz Nvidia covered up the GPU problem and didn't even tell the shareholders or us consumers.
http://digg.com/tech_news/NVIDIA_sued_over...ok_GPU_failures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users