Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slinstaller, slimsheild, vxh8jkdq7.exe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cd-spencer

cd-spencer

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 11:47 AM

Hi

My computer has been infected with some particularly persistent virus.

When logging onto the web my anti-virus (AVG 7.0) picks up a number of viruses in particular

vxh8jkdq1.exe (the one after the dq can be any number 1-9)
slinstaller.exe

I also get pop ups saying I need to buy slimsheild and boxes opening saying that slinstaller can't be opened.

I have run the AVG software which picks up the viruses, removes them but they reappear...can anyone suggest how I can remove these and get back to 'normal' computing...I am certainly no computer whizz and so have no idea how to remove these and what damage they can do to my computer and what they might try to access.

Thanks in advance.

CS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 02:09 PM

Create a directory on your hardrive, to save HijackThis.exe, called c:\hijackthis. This is a mandatory step, for the backup and restore functions, of HijackThis, to be able to work.

Download the latest version, from here.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum. Do not fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

#3 cd-spencer

cd-spencer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 05:56 AM

Hi Grinler

I posted my HJT log and have not heard anything back for a while...I am not sure if I posted it in the right place....I appreciate that you are all volunteers and that if it is in progress thanks for you help...if it never came through could you please let me know and I will re-run it and post it again....where would be the right place to post it.

Thanks again

CHRIS

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:19 AM

Chris,

Your HJT log was responed to by the Grinler on 27 April.

it is here > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=0&#entry101781
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:22 AM

Hi cd-spencer

Your log was posted in the right place and replied to. You can find it here. When you make a reply, you should allow email notification so you will be aware when some action has been taken.

Koan can type faster than me :thumbsup:

Edited by Leurgy, 12 May 2005 - 06:24 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users