Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Properties And Settings Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rodan242

rodan242

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:10 AM

I hope this is an easy fix and I'm just too stupid to figure it out.
Every time I restart my computer it reverts back to Color Quality Low (8 Bit) and a Screen Resolution of 640 X 480 and looks really funny. I have to go into Display Properties and change it back and restart the computer. It just won't keep the settings I want (High 32 Bit) and a regular screen view. Is this a virus or something?
Thank you for your time and help!
There is nothing wrong with the monitor as I have tried hooking the computer up to 2 different ones with the same problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

I would suspect a corruption of your video drivers. Downloading the latest version and installing it should fix this issue in most cases.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rodan242

rodan242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:33 AM

How do I get the latest version? I'm sorry I really am not computer savvy AT ALL!
Is that a windows update?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:37 AM

Let us know the exact make and model of your computer. If it's a custom built computer, then let us know the make and model of the motherboard (and the video card if it's equipped with a separate card).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 rodan242

rodan242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:43 PM

ATI Radeon

I'll have to look at the computer when I get home but I think that's the video card

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:04 PM

There are several different models of the ATI Radeon cards. Try looking in Device Manager (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) under the Display Adapter section.

#7 rodan242

rodan242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:37 PM

It says Radeon X1300/X1550 Series

I can't believe you are still helping me!

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:28 AM

Here's a link to the driver page at AIT: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst...p=xp/radeonx-xp

I'd suggest using option 2 first (just the display driver) and if that doesn't work you can then try option 1 (the whole suite).
Just download the file and double click on it to install.

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

I had the same problem. This may help you. First of all I would follow the advise USASMA has given. Second is that if you have loaded Zone Alarm on your system, every time you start up and Z/A loads your display will go to 8 bit until you change it in Z/A. This solved the problem for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users