Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.rar Extension

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lulabelle

lulabelle

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:00 AM

Someone has sent me two files - one of photos, one of video. I saved them to my desktop and they have the extension .rar How do I get these open please?

I am running Windows Vista with all the normal programs such as Office. I also have the free Realplayer, and free Quicktime. Is there something I can down load to open these? I asked Windows to search and they said the files contained compressed files, but they didn't give me an obvious solution and quite frankly I'm baffled.

Thanks! Lulabelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:21 AM

You need a program such as Winrar to open these files.

Unfortunately, Winrar costs money, but if you go to http://www.download.com/WinRAR/3000-2250_4-10007677.html you can download a clean, malware free thirty day trial for free.

That will open your files and give you time to ask your contact "no more .rars please", or to buy the prog if that suits. 

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:25 AM

Actually, Winrar's "free trial" lasts indefinitely, although after 30 days it will gently bug you from time to time.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 lulabelle

lulabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:40 PM

Thank you! All downloaded and opened.
You are stars.....
L

0 user(s) are reading this topic