Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Error Notification

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 W2CQMron

W2CQMron

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:34 AM

Lately on bootup I'm told there is a keyboard error and told to press F1. When that's done, the bootup continues without incident. As an alternative, it suggests that I press F2 "setup" but I am not familiar with that screen. Can someone suggest a fix for the problem? Thanks, Ron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:47 AM

Is this a laptop? What is the make and model?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

Hi

I take it that you get this message during POST (Power On Self Test) before Windows loads.
As Mark says, is it a Laptop or Desk Top.
If its a Desktop try and borrow a different keyboard and see if the problem goes away. If it does, get a replacement - a basic keyboard is very cheap.
Steve

#4 W2CQMron

W2CQMron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

Hi

I take it that you get this message during POST (Power On Self Test) before Windows loads.
As Mark says, is it a Laptop or Desk Top.
If its a Desktop try and borrow a different keyboard and see if the problem goes away. If it does, get a replacement - a basic keyboard is very cheap.

Thanks for the response. Initially, I tried a substitute keyboard in place of the upgraded Logitech keyboard with the same results. It suggests that I should use SETUP F2 as a solution but I'm not certain which one of the references found on that page would be of assistance to me. I have a model 8200 Dell desktop

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:18 PM

Is the keyboard USB or PS/2? Look in Device Manager and click on the +'s. Look for yellow exclamation points that indicate problem devices. I would also look in the Event Viewer for clues

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:02 PM

If it's a PS2 keyboard, try a USB keyboard. If it's a USB keyboard, try a PS2 keyboard (if your Dell has both type ports - not all do).
Have you changed your CMOS battery (a shiny thing on the motherboard about the size of a US nickle)? Make sure the system is unplugged and that you ground yourself on the metal of the case before sticking your hands inside.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 W2CQMron

W2CQMron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:09 AM

Thanks fellows for all the suggestions on the errant keyboard. I tried them all with no success. When all else fails, there's always the alternative and that is to read the directions. I found the Dell handbook and in the trouble shooting guide they indicated that it's not a good idea to plug the keyboard into a front panel USB port. In all the hardware juggling that might have been something I did with the installation of some new peripheral. Dell indicated that with a front panel keyboard USB plugin"...Some problems may arise..." I plugged it into one of the rear panel USB ports and a smooth bootup was achieved. Now all I have to figure out is why the machine is so sluggish. I'll read some of the postings before I asked for additional help. Regards, Ron

Edited by W2CQMron, 12 September 2008 - 11:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users