Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password For Folders

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Help 4 Novice

Help 4 Novice

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:26 AM

I'm running XP and want to password protect some folders within "My Documents" although I've no idea what programmes to install or how to do it, as you can see from my screen name.

I also have a 4 GB USB, is there a way to password protect it, in case it falls into the wrong hands?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:23 AM

If you're running Windows XP Home Edition, this is done easily enough provided your drive is formatted under NTFS. Open My Computer right click on your C: drive, go to properties, and look under File System to see what your drive has been formatted as. If you put a password on your account, by default your My Documents folder will not be accessible to other users. For this to be effective of course, you must be the only person using your account, no one else should know your password, and you should log out or lock your screen [Windows key + L] to prevent others from accessing your account. If you have Windows XP Professional it's easier to set NTFS permissions for individual folders and grant or deny access to anyone based on users or groups, although that's a more advanced task.

To encrypt a flash drive you'll need 3rd party encryption software of some kind, I haven't worked with that sort of thing so I'll let someone else field that.
Posted Image

#3 Help 4 Novice

Help 4 Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:03 PM

Hi thanks for the reply, but this is a shared computer, which is why I wanted to put passwords on my folders.

Am I also in the right forum re password for my USB?

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:22 PM

You can still share the computer, but if you want to block access on the folder level you have to use separate accounts, or you have to use a 3rd party encryption program.
Look at the Freeware replacements for commercial apps thread for free encryption programs.

Edited by arcman, 11 September 2008 - 01:28 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Help 4 Novice

Help 4 Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

OK arc, I'll have a look at the link you've posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users