Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wrong Display Of Ram In System Properties

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SAMSINGH

SAMSINGH

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:07 AM

I am having Acer Aspire 5052 ANWXMi-Turion Laptop.

(http://www.interweb.in/acer/2133-acer-aspire-5052-anwxmi-turion.html)

I have Windows-XP professional service pack 2 installed on it.

I am facing two problems in it:

1. If I go to My Computer and try to open any of the drives (i.e C, D, E & F) by double-clicking the drive labels, the drive is not getting opened.
But I am able to open the hard-drives using right-click-->open. This double-click problem is not happening anywhere else like in other folders etc.

2. The second problem I am facing is that I have 1GB of RAM in it(2 each of 512MB), but when I see System Properties it shows a RAM of 768MB but if I go to
System Information and check the Total Physival Memory it shows as 1024MB.

I would be really greatful if somebody can help me in resolving these issues.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:53 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

The memory differential...is probably caused by the fact that part of the physical RAM installed (1GB) is being used for onboard video. The System Properties info reflects the net of total RAM installed minus such allocation.

What do you see if you go Start/right-click on My Computer and select Properties? Should be 768MB, if I am right.

There is a setting in the BIOS which you can use to adjust the amount of RAM so used. You can set it for a lesser amount. If you only do normatl things, there is no reason to allocate more than 64MB for onboard video, IMO.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2138456_configure-...rough-bios.html

Sorry, but I have no answer for your first question, although I have seen the answer posted in this forum before.

Louis

#3 SAMSINGH

SAMSINGH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:44 AM

Hi Louis,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am able to fix the RAM issue after implementing the steps told by you.

Regarding the other problem I have tried this solution:

run-->cmd

cd\

attrib -r -h -s autorun.inf

del autorun.inf

I performed these steps for all the drives of my hard-disk, but this is not able to fix the issue.
I found this on some website.

I will let the forums know if I find some solution for that.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:22 AM

Feedback appreciated, keep us posted :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users