Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer Eating Memory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zach Hughes

Zach Hughes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:32 PM

When I leave my computer on for a while, soon enough, explorer.exe begins to eat more and more memory, along with one of my svchost.exe's. Am I infected with somthing [probably], or is explorer supposed to eat up 30mb of ram (svchost ~= 17mb)?...

Thank you for looking...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:56 AM

Hi, from what you are showing that is about normal for Vista. Mine is using about 37 meg of ram for explore. One of the best upgrades for using Vista is more ram, 2 gig of ram is about the sweet spot for the average user.
MCP
MSDST

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:36 AM

Changes in usage in Task Manager aren't really relevant unless there's a corresponding slowdown/problem with your system. If that's the case, you can right click on the svchost.exe process and select "Go to service(s)" to see what services are using that particular svchost.exe process.

A better tool, IMO, is the free Process Explorer available here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx
With it you can examine, in detail, what processes are using within the svchost.exe process.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users