Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Trouble With Avira Antivirus Guard

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 friedemann

friedemann

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

Hi. I am new to posting. Bear with me. I have 2 machines with XPpro. They are not connected together. Both have AntiVir on them. Ram sizes identical.
The "smaller" pc:- (Compaq) 6Gb Hd is about full. It has a 359mHtz motherboard. Avira Antivirus(there was previously Norton, and AVG but I stopped at Avira-because it works good, it does auto updates and the Guard is always "ON".)

The "larger" pc: (Azura)20Gb Hd 1.04ghtz motherboard. used to have Norton on it. I nuked that and it now has same Avira Antivirus program but the Guard does not stay on.
I can't figure that out from checking at the avira chats and whatever as to what to do.

Other infor that might be relevant-on the smaller pc I was the administrator and the user.

The larger pc was formerly a data server. Now maybe it is screwy there? I have no idea. I just pitch the ball-don't know why.

Hope you guys can help. I tried to do a HighjackThis log and got a error quote back(which I can't remember) but I never saw it when I did the Highjack this log on the other machine. It still made a log report.

Repair programs I have run thru this machine to get the gook out because it chattered alot.
CrapCleaner,EasyCleaner(ToniArts), RegistryFirstAid, Ad-Aware(Lavasoft), SpybotS&D, Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal(Obit), TuneUp Utilities 2008(by TuneUp Software)version7.0.8007 . And though I have run HJThis, I havn't touched it with that program.

My "big"pc is uptodate according to the windows updater.
The "small" one is not and cannot be.

I do not have a disc to reboot the computer with.

Never needed to do it on the small one and I have had that going for 6 years.

I hope the picture is complete. I wish to get the Antivir Guard to work on the big computer and I have reinstalled antivir fresh 3 times. The guard is good for 24 hours maybe.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:16 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I assume you are referring to Antivir PE Classic, the free version. I use it on two systems, seems to be very good and reliable.

What's the date of the version you currently have installed?

There's nothing that should be able to change your initial configuration...nothing legal, anyway :flowers:.

Next time you uninstall it...you might also want to do a search on your files and in the registry for any/all "Avira" or "Antivir" files/folders/settings...and delete them (before doing a new install).

To search in the registry, look under the Edit function and use the words described above. Make sure that the cursor is at the top of the registry classes when you start. When it has completely scanned the registry, it will tell you.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users