Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Couple Sound Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:16 PM

Upgrading my computer a bit and one of the upgrades I was going to put in was a new sound card.

I am looking for a specific sound card that is compatible with electric guitars and will act as a amplifier to the guitar. ( I am a musician and record my own music. ) Also whats that port called? =P

Also does any one know any good programs for recording music and adding effects to the guitar like distortion, flanger, echo, chorus etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 10 September 2008 - 05:17 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:23 PM

Just what you needed...a list of potential forums to join :thumbsup:.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=f...mp;aq=f&oq=

Good luck.

Louis

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:00 PM

The main problem with this is you're spoiled for choice. Louis' suggestion of dedicated musicians forums is good.

I'd suggest don't make any quick decisions, read up widely first. It may not be the best plan for your purposes to try to use an internal sound card. For musical instrument and vocal applications, an external Firewire module may suit better, and isn't tied to a single computer.

Other factors include whether you are looking strictly at a two channel result (CDs etc), or if you might look at 5.1 production for soundtrack or games applications. Also if you want purely audio recording (instrument/vocal) or if you'd incorporate MIDI virtual instruments. Most sequencer packages nowadays are very competent at handling both, but if you will do no MIDI at all, you could use a purely audio application. If you do look at MIDI, but aren't into keyboards, there are hardware and software packages designed to make it easy for guitarists, and provide useful things like amp & stack simulations.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

Hmm =\

All right well thanks guys. :thumbsup:

(By the way I already use this computer as a gaming rig, I was going to go ahead and add in a sound card that was going to be compatible for these types of things.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:33 PM

That could work reasonably well, using a decent all-round card like maybe an X-Fi. A dedicated audiophile card is less likely to suit gaming.

I don't think any of these type of cards will provide an input as standard to suit guitar - they will all expect a line-level input. Just a basic outboard guitar pre-amp/processor would be OK to lift the guitar pickup level to line level.

If a card does provide a Microphone input, it may work for guitar input, but the impedance will probably not match and soundcard Mic pre-amps are usually poor quality, just intended for webcam or gaming voice input.

Edited by Platypus, 11 September 2008 - 09:34 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users