Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Don't Think I Can Overclock... Can I?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kanye

Kanye

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

I have a Sony Vaio RX540 desktop PC made in late 2001 I believe. I looked in the BIOS but I didn't see anything about overclocking. Is there any other way to do it?

Intel Celeron Tualatin 1.2GHz processor
ASUS TUSL-LV motherboard

Posted Image

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:05 PM

I don't want to discourage you, but just because it's an Asus board doesn't mean it will easily overclock. The BIOS is written for each computer manufacturer and most box makers try to suppress overclocking.
Another consideration is if you have the stock heatsink and fan
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

I won't be pushing it to like 2GHz or anything, probably just like 1.5 or something. Not much of a difference, but I want to get as much as I can out of this old thing. Would I need a better fan to support that speed because of heat or would stock still do fine?

Edited by Kanye, 10 September 2008 - 05:17 PM.

#4 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:01 PM

Bump.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:17 PM

The BIOS might be locked down to prevent overclocking. If you cannot adjust the FSB or multiplier, overclocking is almost impossible. There are BIOS hacks you can try but they are risky and not for a novice.

3939.png

#6 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:12 AM

Hi

Given the age of the PC and the fact that you want to increase it's speed by 25% I think you could have serious problems and may end up killing your PC. Overclocking can stress components and make your PC unstable.
Why not upgrade instead? Low end Mobos & Processors are cheap, as is memory. You could easily double or treble your PC's speed at relatively low cost.
Steve

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

Hi

Given the age of the PC and the fact that you want to increase it's speed by 25% I think you could have serious problems and may end up killing your PC. Overclocking can stress components and make your PC unstable.
Why not upgrade instead? Low end Mobos & Processors are cheap, as is memory. You could easily double or treble your PC's speed at relatively low cost.

Just keep in mind that updating the mobo might require you to change processors (Different sockets) or RAM. You will also have to reinstall Windows. A 25% increase is a large increase that may stress your PC beyond what it can withstand. You might want to consider overhauling your PC or getting a new one.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users