Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Search

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_com28

Chris_com28

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:40 AM

Whenever I try to search my computer sort of freezes up and I need to restart Windows by deleting the explorer.exe. It occured first on my laptop and now it's on my desktop. I've done virus and malware scans.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

Try the following:

* Click Start -> Run
* Type "SFC /SCANNOW" without the quotes and click OK
* Insert Windows XP CD if prompted
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:47 PM

Thanks. I'm using it now. Hopefully it'll solve my problem and I won't have to go searching for my Windows disc.

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

#4 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:59 AM

I've tried it a few times. The window just closes and doesn't tell me anything. I'm guessing it done it's job and so there's nothing the program can do to help me. Though I've still got the search problem. Maybe if I find my Windows disc and boot from that it'll find missing system files and correct it. That's what someone done for me last time when I installed some sofware that had compaitibility promlems.

Maybe a registry clean could work? I know those programs can cause more problems, but I think if you know what you're doing you can get something out of them, though I doubt they'll make your PC faster. I used one once to solve a key problem one and it worked ok. Though I'll probably need some expert help if I use a registry cleaner. Anything else I could try to solve this problem?

#5 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:08 AM

Hi Chris_Com,

Registry cleaners are not recommended but if you're an experienced user you could try Dial-A-Fix which acts like a registry editor.

You can download it here

Edited by m0le, 16 September 2008 - 05:17 AM.

Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:52 AM

When did this issue arise?

#7 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:34 AM

Well it seems to have been after I installed some Norton software from a friend after I couldn't install a game. I had a blue screen error and couldn't use my PC for some time. Then someone used a Windows disc to reinstall corrupt files and stuff, then it worked fine. Though later I noticed I had the problem of not being able to search. Could it be some Windows files are still corrupt or missing?

Thanks for the link m0le. Though I'm still hesitant to use such a program. Maybe if there's a topic for advice on using the programs like the HJT topic. I'll look into it anyway.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:42 AM

Did you remove Norton?

#9 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

Well it seems to have been after I installed some Norton software from a friend after I couldn't install a game. I had a blue screen error and couldn't use my PC for some time. Then someone used a Windows disc to reinstall corrupt files and stuff, then it worked fine. Though later I noticed I had the problem of not being able to search. Could it be some Windows files are still corrupt or missing?

It may be true that there are still some under lying issues but using the recovery option from the windows CD should have fixed these. (if the recovery option was used)

What anti-virus do you have installed now? What firewall do you have?

Has anything been picked up from the scanners?

Also what "Norton Software" was it that you installed and has this been removed completly?

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#10 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:53 AM

The problem has gone now. I done a Windows update which seemed to fix it. I think it was missing files, probably from the GoBack program I installed when I had the BSoD earlier. The search function has changed dramatically so it's clear that it was updated during the download and install sessions. I think it would be pointless to answer any previous questions as I think the cause is fairly clear now. I had Windows updates on automatic, but they never seemed to install and pretty much every day they asked me to restart my PC only to ask again as soon as I restarted it. I'm just going to update manually from now on.

Thanks for all your advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users