Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1st Time Upgrading Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ghead

ghead

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:38 AM

Well I own a Gateway GT5032 I've had a lot of problems with it lately but finally after the fourth repair through my extended warranty it's been fixed. The motherboards been replaced, hard drive, and memory. everything works fine except the crappy memory they put in. My IP constantly disconnects now and everything and I mean everything is slow as heck. My motherboard is all the same things as last and my hard drive is actually a little faster but the memory is whats slowing everything down so I want to upgrade to some new memory. Here's the specs for my old mem and my new mem.

Current system memory
Hynix ddr 400 pc3200 1gb dual channel 1 stick

What I ordered
G.Skill ddr 400 pc3200 2gb (2x1gb) dual channel kit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231047

It looks like this would work great but this is the first time I've ever changed or upgraded anything in my PC myself so I wanted to get your guys opinion on what I chose.

Also the most important question I have is since I learned that you can get "DOA" dead on arrival memory how on earth will I be able to tell If one of my new sticks is dead and which one? If that happens. Also once the new mem is installed how do I check to see if there both working properly or if ones dead or not?
I don't like any of the system memory checkers that you can download cause they all have terrible reputations of screwing up your computer and making matters worse.
So if you guys can help me out then I thank you in advance for the advice

Thanks
ghead

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:27 PM

Hi

When you switch your PC on it goes through its POST (Power On Self Test) and should display how much memory you have.
From what you say, if you fit this exta memory you should see a total of 3Gb. If you don't then somethings wrong.
If say for instance you only saw 2Gb total then this would point to one stick being dead. Remove one of the new sticks and see what the POST shows. If it still shows 2 GB the chances are that you have removed the faulty stick, but if it shows only 1Gb then you will have removed the good stick.
Once you think you know which stick is faulty, try it in another slot on the motherboard just in case the problem is with the slot not the memory stick.

Edited by SLIX, 10 September 2008 - 02:29 PM.

Steve

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:36 PM

If it's DOA, it should be noticeable.

I received a DOA module from Crucial some years ago...it showed up visibly as soon as I booted :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:14 PM

Hi

When you switch your PC on it goes through its POST (Power On Self Test) and should display how much memory you have.
From what you say, if you fit this exta memory you should see a total of 3Gb. If you don't then somethings wrong.
If say for instance you only saw 2Gb total then this would point to one stick being dead. Remove one of the new sticks and see what the POST shows. If it still shows 2 GB the chances are that you have removed the faulty stick, but if it shows only 1Gb then you will have removed the good stick.
Once you think you know which stick is faulty, try it in another slot on the motherboard just in case the problem is with the slot not the memory stick.

Actually it will only be 2gb total im not gonna keep that crappy hynux stick in there.
So where does it display how much memory is working? Is the POST the screen that looks like msdos that displays for two seconds while booting up?

#5 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:54 PM

yea, but when you first boot it up with the new ram it will count up how much memory is in there. should count to 2G like everyone else said. If you happen to space out on the first boot, you can go into control panel>system and i think its called overview or something...one of the tabs just shows the OS, CPU and how much RAM is installed...If you have onboard video the number will be lower than 2G tho..

#6 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:15 PM

Cool ok I have an intergrated video card, not sure if that is considered "onboard" or not

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:24 PM

An integrated card is onboard. A dedicated graphics card contains everything needed for graphical processing on a PCB that is inserted into a PCI, AGP, or PCI-Express slot. If you get a dedicated card, which most gamers have, you should disable onboard graphics. Onboard graphics utilize system memory, so if you have 2 GB of RAM and your onboard graphics is designed to use 512 MB, your total RAM available would be 1.5 GB.

3939.png

#8 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

well thats good to know. Ofcourse if i get a card for my pci slot id have someone do it for me so its done right

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:55 PM

Installing a graphics card is easy, you can do it yourself. All you have to do is uninstall the drivers, remove the old card, put in the new, connect the power (if needed by the card), then install the drivers. Total time to completion: five minutes.

3939.png

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

Yes, it's easy...as long as you have a card that matches your motherboard. I've seen a couple of instances posted today where that has not happened.

Your motherboard specs will tell you what kind of graphics card will fit your board...then it's a matter of individual preference.

Howstuffworks How Graphics Cards Work - http://www.howstuffworks.com/graphics-card.htm

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/howstuffwo...-card-video.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users