Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Recovery Self Started

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nathan99699

nathan99699

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:33 AM

My HP desktop just began a recovery on its own (spouse was at controls, so I do not know all details), but it appears to have completed all of the recovery. I went to windows recovery center and requested a previous recovery date but none are available. The software appears to have remained, so a full partition may not have occurred. I need help to get back the old administrator settings.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:38 AM

I know on Dells when you hit a certain combination of function keys you reinstall the OS to "like new" condition. Meaning like it was when it was shipped from the factory. If this happened, you have to redo all of your settings. Do you still have all of your documents and pics., etc.?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 nathan99699

nathan99699
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:07 PM

Mark,
negative, the files are not in the folders any longer. However, the administrator is now different. I cannot log in as my old user, so I am hoping it was booting to an old recovery date where my user is not created. The loaded software icons and things are still there, so I think it is not completly re-partitioned.

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:35 PM

Sounds like your spouse started the HP recovery program. This reimages the laptop, restoring it to it's factory state, as garmanma said.
You'll need to restore any photos\music\documents from backups if this is the case.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 nathan99699

nathan99699
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

Great. I like the way the recovery is not reversible.

#6 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

The recovery is designed to be a last-ditch measure, and normally includes disclaimers to that affect. I've never run the HP recovery, so can't say for certain that it does warn you, but I'd imagine it does.

It's a reinstall process, and shouldn't be confused with the fully reversible (if somewhat tempremental) system restore that is part of XP.

Regards,
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#7 crappybob

crappybob

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:55 PM

Nothing really would surprise me with HP software. They are at best, horribly incompetent and at worst, the software spawn of satan himself hell-bent on ruining countless PCs and wasting millions of man hours cleaning up the mess.

Having a keystroke combo to start the HP system restore is a pretty dumb idea. I miss the days were all you had to do was reboot with the restore CD in the CD rom to start the process. It made a lot more sense that way.

#8 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:31 AM

I agree about the keystroke, but thats why I tend to remove the recovery software from HP laptops at work.

My advice to people purchasing HP laptops is to create the recovery discs following the instructions provided with the laptop and remove the recovery partition by uninstalling the software.
Tom

Tswsl1989

#9 nathan99699

nathan99699
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:55 AM

Werd. As soon as I finish recovering all of the files I cannot do without since my backup, and reloading all of my software, that will be the next task. Thanks for the assistance. I did find that Seagate has a nice tool for recovering files. I am working on my Outlook mailfile right now. its pretty large.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users