Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can A Computer Ever Recover From Water Damage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HEL_Master

HEL_Master

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

Ok, So i was having a party once with my ex (bleep)

And in her drunken stupor she spilled some wine on my computer.. The computer worked fine all night, then i turned it off, and it beeped loudly when i attempted to turn it on again..
Tried turning it on for a few days to no avail so i put it in the drawer stored away..

A couple of months later i brought it out, and it made a weird tapping noise but it loaded up and asked me to put my password in. half of the keys wouldnt work so i used the on screen keyboard..

I then whacked the keyboard with my fist and it worked again, it sometimes stopped working again but if i hit it, it would start again eventually..
After a couple days the computer was working as if nothing was ever wrong with it for a month or so.

Now.. The weird tapping noise has started again when something isnt plugged into the speakers.. and if it is bumped atall, a horrible roaring noise starts (which sounds like the fan) until it is put on sleep and turned on again.

Games used to work perfectly but now (just today) are very slow..

The fan is working right..

Also when i try to install certain things.. Or do operations that require alot of hard disk work.. A horrible crackling noise starts and the installation is aborted. (although some things do install)

Is there any possibility my computer will ever work to full capacity again, by just waiting and seeing, like it did last week for some reason..

Would a defragmentation or registry clean do anything atall to help?

Thanks for reading all of this, i know i probably wrote too much.

Edited by HEL_Master, 10 September 2008 - 11:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:24 PM

Well...electronic components do dry out. But wine is not water and I'm sure that there are corrosive impacts (no pun intended) that I cannot elaborate on.

http://lifehacker.com/software/laptop/vide...ptop-246168.php

But, at this point, I'd have to guess that physical force has not really been the correct answer for dealing with something as complicated as a computer system. I'd be willing to guess that every blow probably moved something that should not be moved...just a little more out of its proper position/status.

I think you're lucky that it works at all, but I've been wrong before :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:10 PM

Hi

You don't say what type of PC it is. Is it a desktop/tower system or a laptop.

If its a desktop and the wine got in the keyboard why not just replace that.
If its a laptop then your problems sound like your PC is in terminal decline.
Re the wine - the drier the wine, the more acidic it is. I don't think your problems are going to go away.
Steve

#4 HEL_Master

HEL_Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

Yeah its a laptop.

I got told that cleaning the thing out with deionized water could help fix it?

#5 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

Hi

If the PC had been switched off at the time, and you had managed to get inside it, dried it out as much as possible and then left it to fully dry out, then you might have stood a chance. From what you say, the spillage occured with the PC switched on so that the wine would have caused shorts. If that is the case, then I think it has done irreversable damage.
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users