Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Imgtask.exe & 'driver Failed Initializer' Window

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leo03713

leo03713

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could possibly help me with these? Any answer would be more than appreciated!

Recently, upon booting up and logging in, while all my personal setting are being loaded, a DOS window began poping up with the following message: C:/Windows/IMGTASK.exe 16 Bit MS DOS Substation
C:/Windows/IMGTSK.exe C:/ progra~//Symantec/S32EVNT1.DLL
Then another message pops up stating:An installable virtual device driver failed DLL initialization Choose "Close" to terminate the application

There are actually 2 choices: "close" and "ignore"

Why is this suddenly appearing and how on earth do I make it stop?
I recently downloaded trialware from Symantec (Norton 360) but uninstalled it yesterday. However, I can't for the life of me remember if it was showing up before or right after the trialware installation (I have used Symantec's trialware before and this hasn't happened).

Also (as an aside): My kids and I have downloaded free trial games from sites like Bigfish and Spintop and I notice in my local disk there are 2 icons from games we tried out like 2 years ago. When I tried to delete them, an error pops up telling me "It cannot be deleted because it is being used by another person or program" and to "close any programs that might be using the file and try again." Though it may be harmless, it's pissing me off that I can't delete it! One ex. is: primesuspectsGENSetup-dm.
Any insight?

Thanking you so much in advance,
Leo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:31 AM

From Symantec:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-s...18?OpenDocument
It is a Registry Edit So be careful and back up the registry first

This- primesuspectsGENSetup-dm. bothers me. It could be an infection
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 leo03713

leo03713
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:01 PM

Thank you so much for replying Mark!
I will follow your instructions. I am a little afraid that I may not have enough disk space to back up my registry though. We'll see.
I run AdAware a lot. Wouldn't that have picked up and gotten rid of the GENSetup-dl thing?

Leo

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:24 PM

Wouldn't that have picked up and gotten rid of the GENSetup-dl thing?

No, not really. While AdAware is OK, it takes a few different security measures to keep yourself virus free. Even then, there is no 100% guarantee.
You can do a lot of reading and post questions that here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/antivirus-firewall-and-privacy-products-and-protection-methods/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users