Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair Install

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:02 AM

I have a friend that is having enough problems with his XP Home computer that I've suggested he do a repair install. Even though he is not supposed to loose any data, I've suggested he back up anything that he wishes not loose.

How can I tell without opening the tower if he is using SATA or IDE drives? Can I find out in Device Manager? Also, if I find he has a SATA drive, what will I need to do to get the drivers (I think RAID) for the drive.?

Also, I've been through several repair installs (not ones that has SATA drives) but wanted to check. If I install his version of Windows and it doesn't have SP1 or SP2 will it cause problems to the repair? I have SP2 on a external that I can install just as soon as I finish the repair.

Just want to make sure that doing this repair will not adversely affect his computer. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:26 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

A repair install doesn't require the addition of SATA drivers...since it is a repair on an already existing Windows install.

The repair will simply remove all updates since the date of the repair disk used...and replace all system files. All programs installed, data files, settings,etc. will remain as they currently are.

A repair install will not address either malware or hardware situations that prevent the system from functioning properly.

As for telling whether a hard drive is SATA or IDE...you can just look in Device Manager. SATA hard drives will (probably) be reflected SCSI Disk Devices under the Disk Drive category, while IDE drives are reflected simply by manufacturer and model.

Windows is not set up to allow a user to do a repair install with an earlier version of the O/S. I tried this one day (just to see what would happen) and the result was either a dual install or a clean install which erased my previous install (it was some time ago and I don't remember which).

If the system is current through SP3, then make a slipstreamed SP3 CD and do the repair. If current through SP2, same thing for SP2.

There are various sites which tell of various ways to make a slipstreamed XP CD. I think that using the nLite website is probably the easiest, but that's just another opinion of mine. I have used it and I've used this site's guidance and guidance provided on the Elder Geek and Paul Thurrott sites...all were successful for me.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Slipstreamed Windows XP CD Using SP2 - http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users