Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ibm R51e: Formatting New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 katnip

katnip

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:33 AM

Hello,

I have a IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad R51e that has a 40GB hard drive. I'll soon be at the capacity limit and I'm going to upgrade the internal hard drive to an 80GB.

My laptop is under warranty until May 2009, will it void the warranty because I'm not buying the hard drive directly from IBM? (IBM's price is $261.00 compared to my purchase of a Hitachi Travelstar 80GB 5700rpm PATA interface for $47.00)

Prior to installing the 80GB hard drive I hope someone can help me with some of these questions.

The Windows XP Pro was factory installed by IBM/Lenovo. Will it recognize the program to install it?

Will all of my Product Recovery CDs still work with formatting the new hard drive back to the Factory Default setting?

Will I need to create any additional disk that I may need prior to restoring to Factory Default setting?

I have read about problems of hidden partition and password issues. I did try to research the issues, but the more I read the more my head started spinning.

I'd truly appreciate any knowledge that any of you may offer.

Sincerely,
Kat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

Doesn't this model support dual hard drives?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:47 AM

Looks to me like these questions have been entertained before, http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message...;thread.id=3916

I guess that I would take the opinions expressed on a Lenovo forum from users...over any guesses that some of us might offer.

Louis

#4 katnip

katnip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:32 AM

Looks to me like these questions have been entertained before, http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message...;thread.id=3916

I guess that I would take the opinions expressed on a Lenovo forum from users...over any guesses that some of us might offer.

Louis

Yes louis that is me on the IBM site. But they can only answer so much because I am purchasing my 80GB hard drive outside of IBM/Lenova. There were a lot of PMs exchanged privately. When I do format this new hard drive, IBM will not keep this laptop under warranty. As I stated, my warranty is good until 2009.

I have also posted about a problem with "Administrator's Rights Denied" as well. I truly wish instead of checking my status on other BBs that maybe you could offer some help in regards to my problem.

Isn't this what this forum is about?

:thumbsup: .....life is so full of disgruntiled hall monitors

#5 katnip

katnip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

Doesn't this model support dual hard drives?

It has a capacity of an internal drive of 80GB. It can handle an fairly large external hard drive. But using an external hard drive would defeat the suppose of how I use this. I work hospice and I need this laptop mobile. I was doing some research and this is what has me worried;

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/03/12/disable-and-remove-thinkpad-hidden-service-partition/ [/color]://http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/...ition/ [/color]

I have all of the recovery disks and have done it to the 40GB hard drive that is in it now. Guess I'm kinda spooked of not getting that partition 5GB hidden space that I may need.

Thanks for the reply, I truly appreciate it!

BTW Mark I love your avatar! :thumbsup:

Edited by katnip, 10 September 2008 - 11:51 AM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:18 PM

I would really investigate furthur on whether or not you're capable of just adding a second hard drive.
Then you don't have to reinstall anything. Just move your documents and stuff to the 2nd drive for storage.
Besides the model we need to know the type
There are 3 choices- 1843 - 1844 - 1845
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users