Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jayalbanoyanick

jayalbanoyanick

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:33 AM

Hello, I'd be the troglodyte. I've purchased a gig of memory for my HP Pavilion a6010n running Vista Home Premium, the intstruction sheet that came w/ the stick says to take off the coputer's top cover but my pc has an "Expansion Bay" on it's front. Can I add the memory through there( there is a grate just inside the door with a screwdriver icon/ what up with that?)? If I do need to takeoff the computer cover, anything special I should know (I have taken some electronics apart + reassembled w/out problems so my confidence to do this is high, I just wanted to save myself the trouble if I could)? Thanks for accomodating my idiocy. Jay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:30 AM

Take the side cover off. Here's instructions to help you along
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00841410.pdf
It's a .pdf file
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:53 AM

From a PM

I'm adding this gig of memory in an attempt to clear up the rather persistant messsage that my computer is low on disk space in recovery d drive. Now I'm not SO dumb as to think a stick of memory is a drive of any kind, so how is this going to clear up this message? Also, am I going to need to do any reconfiguring of programming, does this need a driver?

Low on disk space means the hard drive is reaching it's capacity. On recovery drive D is different
HP has a hidden partition (D:) where it stores an image of your OS. When you want to reinstall Windows, you use the recovery disks you made when the computer was purchased (or should have made) to reinstall Windows.
Somehow it is possible that extra information was written to the D: partition
Discussion and a couple of solutions here:
http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/22176.htm

Edited by garmanma, 11 September 2008 - 07:57 AM.
too early in morning

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:25 AM

There's also the possibility that when you downloaded something, temporary files were written to that partition
Download ATF Cleaner
http://www.majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html
Click the select all box and run it. It could take a while. It will let you know when it's done
I'm pretty sure it will also work on D:
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users