Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus - Can't Download And Install Any Anti-virus Apps

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Alicma

Alicma

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:12 AM

My PC was hit by a virus last week. It was unprotected. I managed to install Kaspersky and Spyware doctor from CDs, but it's still very infected.

Ultimate Cleaner was part of it, but that no longer shows up.

The major problem i have is that it redirects me off any tech sites or anti-spyware sites so its impossible to get any anti-malware from the web. I did manage somehow to download malware bytes anti-malware, but it won't install - the error i get is "not a valid win32 application".

The other problems i have are:
Can't restore active desktop
Most functions have been removed from start bar
CD drive and C drive do not appear in windows explorer
"Virus alert" by the clock

Is there a workaround? I also have firefox on the PC is there anyway i can access that?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

If you cannot use the Internet or download any programs, you are going to need access to another computer (family member, friend, etc) with an Internet connection. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, save it to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD, transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program. If you cannot transfer or install from the infected machine, try running the setup (installation) file directly from the flash drive or CD so it will install on the hard drive.

Please print out and follow these instructions to perform a Quick Scan in normal mode. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users