Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kispoko

kispoko

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:14 AM

(posted in another forum but got no bites, hopefully someone can help here, or maybe direct me to a better forum)

Hello........

I was recently done-in by antivirus xp 2008, and because of this site, was able to figure out how to uninstall it and move on with my life. However, I was left with aol/internet explorer programs that won't show images. I don't think this is an indication of some continued system infection, but I've run malware again, other security programs, and re-installed both aol and internet explorer, to no avail (i completely deleted internet explorer for the re-install, but did not do so with aol).

The only thing I see most places is the little box with a red square, green circle, and blue triangle in it where images should be. I also just discovered I can't even view pictures I've loaded onto the computer from my digital camera. But I should mention that I don't have this problem with Firefox (which I'm now using more because of this). As well, I'm running Win XP here.

Can anyone help? I appreciate it.......

Mod Edit: Topic moved from Windows XP to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 10 September 2008 - 01:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kispoko

kispoko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

anyone?

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:30 PM

hi,,, looks like you lost the codec to view some files,,,, try k-lite codec pack,,, another way would be to use firefox 3.1.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 kispoko

kispoko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:57 AM

i tried the latest version, 4.1.7 full. didn't work. is there a different, maybe older version that might work instead?

i'm using firefox most of the time, but as i said, i also can't see the pictures i've loaded from my digital camera now either in my pictures file, and not just things on ie.

thanks for trying to help me though, i appreciate it. if you have any other ideas, please shoot 'em over. this is driving me nuts.........

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:47 AM

First, it might help if you emptied your temporary internet files (use Windows disk cleanup utility, or do it manually).
Second, assuming your hard drive is not close to completely full, check the file associations with any of the picture files to see what application is being used to open them.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 kispoko

kispoko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:35 PM

I emptied my temporary files. My hard drive has a lot of extra room yet.

Can you tell me tell me how to check and see what application is being used to open picture files? For my actual pictures, I believe it's Windows picture and fax viewer. Did you mean for images on Internet Explorer though? I'm not sure how to do that.

Thanks.

#7 kispoko

kispoko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:57 AM

anybody? there's gotta be some simple way to fix this.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:07 AM

To find the program used to open your images, right-click the image, and select Properties.
Under the General tab, at the top, you'll see Opens with:.
The program listed there, is the one set to handle images.

Edited by tg1911, 20 September 2008 - 05:07 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users