Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia Gpu Meltdown (widespread Problem)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:32 PM

So last month my laptop screen turned blank after getting random lines. Now I can't even start up the laptop.

I did some research, and it turns out there is a widespread hardware problem with Nvidia GPUs for laptops, causing meltdowns due to
overheating.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/07/07/nv...failure-rates/1

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/200...top-owners.aspx

What should I do? Is my entire motherboard screwed? (my Dell warranty expired a week b4 this happened)

Should I take my comp apart and sell the parts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:36 AM

If a laptop's GPU fails, does this doom the entire motherboard?

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:50 AM

I wouldnt give up hope yet. Wait for one of the more experienced posters. But if its just the GPU that's failing you could put an actual video card in there I would think, unless it took something else with it.

#4 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:05 AM

k thxs. bump

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:31 PM

I hate to say it, but thing's don't look very good :thumbsup: . It's almost impossible to replace the gpu in a laptop, at least yourself. Computer hardware sellers, such as Newegg, don't sell laptop graphics card. You may be able to find a replacement on ebay, or through Dell, and most likely at a hefty price. A lot of laptops don't even allow for the graphics card to be replaced. The only thing I can suggest is to research if your specific laptop model can have the graphics card replaced.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

I hate to say it, but thing's don't look very good :thumbsup: . It's almost impossible to replace the gpu in a laptop, at least yourself. Computer hardware sellers, such as Newegg, don't sell laptop graphics card. You may be able to find a replacement on ebay, or through Dell, and most likely at a hefty price. A lot of laptops don't even allow for the graphics card to be replaced. The only thing I can suggest is to research if your specific laptop model can have the graphics card replaced.

My laptop is a Vostro1400 from Dell, with a Nvidia Geforce 8400m GS.

Do you know if this type is soldered onto the motherboard? What company do you suggest can replace the GPU? (my Dell warranty expired, so they probably can't) =/

#7 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:36 PM

Ok, so I'm going to assume I can remove/replace this GPU?

Where can I purchase a stand alone 8400m GS?

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:18 PM

I looked through the dell vostro 1400 parts on the dell website, and there are no graphics card replacements. I also search through google, and couldn't find any 8400m gs graphics card's. Wasn't Dell recalling some of the laptops that use these faulty Nvidia chipsets? You may want to still check with dell to see if there's something they can do because they have admitted to these chipsets being faulty.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#9 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:36 PM

Nope, not yet. But I've gone over some articles and it looks like Nvidia might do a recall...or they might get sued.

I want justice!!!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/08/nvidia.html

Edited by BlueScreenDeath, 10 September 2008 - 09:47 PM.

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

Ya, I just read today they are getting sued for hundreds of millions of dollars for faulty chipsets. I don't know if this is going to help you out any though.

#11 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:12 AM

Yeh, so I'm screwed either way.

Anyways, do you know any website I can purchase laptop GPUs by themselves? I recently watched a youtube video detailing how to replace GPUs in laptops - and it involved taking apart the entire thing.

#12 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

Nvidia is getting sued.

http://digg.com/tech_news/NVIDIA_sued_over...ok_GPU_failures

I demand justice!!!

#13 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

I'd really think that if the GPU actually melted or fried, it would take a little more then itself. It would at least wreck the socket it's soldered to. I Would look into what some of the other guys were saying, see if it's on warranty or if it's on the recall.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#14 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:05 PM

yeh, the offical dell blog says they're gonna extend the warranty by 12 months, but I called them last week and this hasn't happened yet.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:13 PM

I wonder if this will be extended to E1705's with a GeForce 7900GS Go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users