Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot caused problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jonat

Jonat

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 06:20 AM

I used Spybot (and other software) to fix hijacking and trojan problems by following guidance provided here, successfully.

However, using Spybot's resident protection facility for ongoin protection seems to have lead me to cause a different problem. When one of its warning popups occurred about a BHO, I ticked a permanent delete to the issue raised. However this has lead to my graphics viewing software (ACDSee) not being able to show graphics any more.

The only info I could find is in Spybot's "View Reports" facility under "Tools" where the line :
2005/04/25 11:59:57 Allowed value "{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}" (new data: "") deleted in Browser Helper Object!

may be the relevant problem.

Can someone help.

Thanks,

Jonat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 02:24 PM

Well is the problem that you are trying to reinstall the app and it wont let the bho install?

#3 Jonat

Jonat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:56 AM

Hello Grinler,

I was using the app to view some jpeg photos. For some odd reason, when I tried to re-orientate one of the photos by 90 degrees using the built in facility, it came up with a message to the effect that an illegal operation had occurred - I told it to ignore. The main app then went "dead" for a rather long while (say about 15 secs) before the BHO warning then came up - I told it to dissallow the BHO and remember the decision. Thereafter it would not display any images.

Only subsequently did I try to fix the problem by re-installing the app. It did re-install (no message about the bho during installation), but that did not fix the problem - still no images.

I finally fixed the problem by using the Windows XP "Restore" facility to a point about 3 days back, and then went through the routine previously provided by "Oldtimer" to ensure that previous Trojan problems would still be absent.

So it seems that the problem is now fixed. However, it seems that one must be careful with Spybot's resident utility. Can you provide me with any general guidance on the issue with it, as I don't really understand.

Thanks,

Jonat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users