Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ski.smitty

ski.smitty

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:20 PM

After about 6 months of disuse, I have returned to my laptop to find it struggling to operate at regular "speed" I guess, or rather it is acting very slow. For example, on startup it takes a very long time to initiate Windows, it takes a long time to initiate any program I use (mozilla, Itunes, video games, etc.), it has a hard time displaying videos on youtube (keeping up with the audio at least) and sometimes lags while playing audio from itunes (just skips and sounds like a scratched cd). I used this laptop a bit after 3 months of disuse, then let it run into another 3 months of disuse. I have run AVG and zone-alarm anti-virus searches, both came up empty. I have run CCleaner on my computer to eliminate leftover data, and that cleared 1 gig out but the computer is still slow, no difference was noticed. I run tune-up utilities and while running the memory optimizer I've noticed it says that around 85%+ of my ram is being used when I am loading up something simple like itunes the same time as mozilla is running. This is way out of normal. I'm probably going to have my friend reseat my RAM (that fixed a similar problem on my disused desktop). Other than that, I'm guessing I may have a virus as my anti-virus has been expired for around 6-7 months (not the free AVG). Anyway, if there's anything you guys here can do I would greatly appreciate it, you guys have been incredibly helpful in the past. Thanks!

Edited by ski.smitty, 09 September 2008 - 10:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

Can you list your computer specs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users