Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers....(IE, Firefox,etc)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 10rand

10rand

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:27 AM

Which browser is more secure? I have four browsers at the moment.(Mozilla Firefox, Maxthon, Deepnet Explorer & Opera) Two are based on the Internet Explorer Engine.(Maxthon and Deepnet Explorer) I have read on the forums that some sites do not load on Opera. Is is possible to know if it is just maybe 10% of websites that do not load or is it 90%? Is it a negligible number that one can tolerate. What I want from a browser is that it be relatively secure and that it loads pages faster. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:14 PM

I suggest Firefox.
Fairly secure (nothing is 100%), fast (especially with tweaking), and highly customizable (with extensions).

Not familiar enough with Opera to offer any advice.

Any browser dependent on IE, is susceptible to IE problems.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:44 PM

A recent news item discussing the new version of Opera seemed to indicate it could open fewer pages than could Firefox, but outside of that, had some really good features.
The problem with browsers based on the IE model is twofold. First, the IE engine is part of the Windows operating system, and second, that they use activeX controls (a favourite tool of malicious coders). Neither Opera nor FF make use of these controls, and are completely independent of the OS.
While NO browser is completely secure, either would therefore be better than other alternatives. It has been my experience with FF that there are very few pages it cannot handle (mostly MS sites), and there is an extension that will allow you to open a recalcitrant page in IE should it be necessary.
In addition, the folks at Mozilla seem prepared to patch identified security problems much faster than MS (that is not saying much) or the people responsible for Opera; in some cases, Mozilla's turnaround time has been less than a week (I remember one that took two working days). The ability to have your browser patched quickly is certainly a prime element in its overall security.
Lastly, whenever you deal with a IE clone, it seems to me you cannot be assured that MS security patches are compatible with them, and that whatever these clones add to the IE engine is either well-coded or itself secure and doesn't add additional secuity holes to your computer.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 25 April 2005 - 03:53 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 badkarma9999

badkarma9999

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:09 PM

ill say mozilla cuzz it works great and is way more secure then ie.but ofcourse the more people that use mozilla the more security problems arise.

#5 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:44 AM

Which plug-ins do I need to use for firefox for it to be relatively faster to load pages and to generally improve performance and security[patches] of the browser?

Thanks guys, very informative replies. Most helpful. Very much appreciated.

Edited by 10rand, 28 April 2005 - 04:48 AM.

"The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from the one who does."

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:15 AM

Here's a couple of things you can check out:
Favorite Firefox Extension
Enhancing Firefox with Browser Extensions
Firefox Web Browser - Pipelining
Plugins
Extensions
About:config entries
How To Modify Hidden Preferences Using about:config
Firefox Tweak Guide
Firefox Tuning

These should keep you busy for a while. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users