Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:58 PM
I have quite a mess that I need help with. I clicked on something and it started "MS Antivirus" It looked remarkably like the normal Microsoft Antivirus but was obviously malware of some type. Here are the current symptoms:
1) the time in the taskbar is in military time
2) The words "Virus Alert!" appear next to the time in the taskbar
3) Windows task manager has been disabled
4) there is no "all programs" selectable
5) It added two porn icons to my desktop "best zoo porn" and "quality porn"
6) The run command is not there
7) the control panel is not available.
8) of course they want me to purchase thier program to get rid of the virus they gave me!
I can boot in safe mode, log in as administrator and everything looks good with the exception of the time is still in military time. Symantec detects nothing on a full scan, spybot removes everything except virtamonde.dll.
Vundofix finds nothing.
If I run a hijackthis log, should it be run in the computers normal messed up state or will a safemode boot give an accurate log? I did a log in safe mode, uploaded it to one of the web sites for analysis and it didn't find anything.