Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This A Hopeless Case For Service Pack 2?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kim25

Kim25

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

Hi, I'm back with a new problem. Hope you can help me with this one too.
I have a Dell 4600 that had sevice pack 1 on it. I have tried to install service pack 2, 3 different times, with no luck. I finally decided to try it again yesterday and it seemed to be doing ok until it got hung up at the end where it was doing clean-up. I think it was in clean-up at least an hour. anyway it finally came up and said that the install failed. I rebooted my computer and it was there. It is also in my add-remove in the control panel. It was giving me problems, so I rebooted in safe mode to do a system restore. All that was there were service pack restore points, so I picked the bottom one and did a restore. I really had no choice because I couldn't even use my computer with an hour glass that would not let me navigate anywhere. Anyway, the restore seems to be working fine now. I am not able to use wordpad or the calculator, but other than that I have not had any problems. I decided to check my event viewer and saw several problems. I have no idea if they are major or can be fixed. I am hoping fixed because I really need this service pack, If not I can go to add-remove and hopefully remove it. I am posting below the errors that showed in the event viewer. It would probably be better to scroll to the bottom of these and work your way to the top, as that would be in the right order. Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Source: LoadPerf
9/8/2008 6:01:01PM
The performance counter name string value in the registry is incorrectly formatted. The bogus string is 3096, the bogus index value is the first DWORD in Data section while the last valid index values are the second and third DWORD in Data section.

6:01:01 PM 9/8/2008
LastCounter and LastHelp values of performance registry is corrupted and needs to be updated. The first and second DWORDs in Data Section are the original values while the third and forth DWORDs in Data Section are the updated new values.

6:00:58 PM 9/8/2008
Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section.

6:00:58 PM 9/8/2008
The performance counter name string value in the registry is incorrectly formatted. The bogus string is 3096, the bogus index value is the first DWORD in Data section while the last valid index values are the second and third DWORD in Data section.

6:00:41 PM 9/8/2008
Unloading the performance counter strings for service ISAPISearch (ISAPISearch) failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section.

5:59:19 PM 9/8/2008
Performance counters for the ISAPISearch (ISAPISearch) service are already in Performance Registry, no need to re-install again.

5:59:19 PM
Performance counters for the ContentFilter (ContentFilter) service are already in Performance Registry, no need to re-install again.

5:59:19 PM
Unloading the performance counter strings for service ContentFilter (ContentFilter) failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section

Source: WinMgmt
5:24:36 PM
WMI ADAP was unable to load the PerfProc performance library because it timed out on a call: collect

source: LoadPerf
5:21:48 PM
Performance counters for the ISAPISearch (ISAPISearch) service were loaded successfully. The Record Data contains the new index values assigned to this service.

Performance counters for the ContentFilter (ContentFilter) service were loaded
successfully. The Record Data contains the new index values assigned to this service.

5:21:48 LoadPerf
Performance counters for the ContentIndex (ContentIndex) service were loaded successfully. The Record Data contains the new index values assigned to this service.

Performance counters for the ISAPISearch (ISAPISearch) service were removed successfully. The Record Data contains the new values of the system Last Counter and Last Help registry entries.

Performance counters for the ContentFilter (ContentFilter) service were removed successfully. The Record Data contains the new values of the system Last Counter and Last Help registry entries.

Performance counters for the ContentIndex (ContentIndex) service were removed successfully. The Record Data contains the new values of the system Last Counter and Last Help registry entries.

Source:Application Error
4:52:33 PM 9/8/2008
Faulting application update.exe, version 5.5.1005.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.1217, fault address 0x00055e92.

Source: WinMgmt
3:56:00 PM Warning
A provider, HiPerfCooker_v1, has been registered in the WMI namespace, Root\WMI, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

In event viewere, there's normally a link to look up more details for that event on the MS website. Try that for some of the events and see where it leads.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:08 PM

usasma are you here? I really need your help again.....please, I don't know what to do about this service pack, keep it or lose it? Thanks!

Kim

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:18 PM

As Service Pack 1 is no longer supported by Microsoft, it is vital that you update to at least Service Pack 2. If you don't you are leaving yourself wide open to viruses etc. Personally I wouldn't even connect that machine to the internet until it had Service Pack 2 on it.

Have you scanned for viruses recently? If, so, what were the results of the scan?

You could try running the System File Checker (SFC).

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:53 PM

Thanks, but this has nothing to do with a virus (yes I have checked it). What I want to know is how to fix the errors that I posted. If I can't fix them, then it is probably just a matter of time until I start having problems and end up having to remove this service pack 2. I really want to keep it, but I need to fix these errors! Another thought....I wonder if I installed service pack 3 that would fix everything. Naaa, probably make it worse!

Below is from systems event viewer since I downloaded service pack 2. I don't know if this is related to the other problems that I already posted in my first post.

Source: ipnathlp
6:03:47 PM 9/9/2009
The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code. Bytes
0000: 1f 00 00 00

source: Browser
6:03:47 PM 9/9/2008
The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_ because a master browser was stopped.

Source: Dhcp
6:03:47 PM 9/9/2008
The IP address lease for the Network Card with network address has been denied by the DHCP server (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:57 PM

Did you run the System File Checker?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:03 AM

No, I will try that tomorrow.....must get some sleep now. Thanks!

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:10 AM

The last error messages that you posted are somewhat normal - but to be sure you'd have to check the following Information items to see if it completed successfully later on (or, if you can access the internet, you can assume that they started successfully).

I'm not real familiar with the first one, but have found (in several cases) that removing that device from Device Manager will cause the error to go away (and Device Manager doesn't reinstall the device).

The second error is because another computer thinks it's the Master Browser on your network - and the 2 computers fight it out until one gives up (making the other the Master Browser). This mostly occurs when using automatic IP assignment on a network - along with Sleep or Hibernation on at least one of the computers.

The third error can be related to the second one, or it can be independent of it. But regardless, there should be either an Information item that states that the lease was successfully issued - or there should be more errors of the same type as the system keeps trying to get a lease.

As for Service Pack 2, there are 2 requirements prior to installing it:
1) Scan for malware (preferably with an independent scanner) to ensure no malware is on the system.
2) Update all of your drivers to ensure that no SP2 incompatible drivers are on your system.

Either of these could be causing your issues. Here's some links to some free, online scanners: (Be advised that some of these scanners will pickup things in "quarantine" from other anti-virus programs - so review the results carefully)

http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/
http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml
http://onlinescan.avast.com/
http://ca.com/us/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner Scan Only - no removal
<links compiled on 02/14/2008>
<links reordered on 09/10/2008>

Then, on the back of your Dell is a service tag number. Go to this website and locate the drivers for your system: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...;l=en&s=gen If there's more than one type of driver available in a section, post back here for instructions on how to pick the correct one.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users