When I reformat, I plan to copy the registry, system files and task manager processes. Maybe that will help me recognize good from bad later on.
Once I have loaded all my software, drivers, etc., I know to download the virus and spyware protection and get the Windows updates. I should mention that my XP operating disks are three years old.
My questions are:
1) Where do I go first? I have a SP2 disk with an offer of free virus protection, which I will need. Will that load without getting the previous updates first?
2) There are so many recommended downloads for scanning, detecting, fixing, etc., that I read about on the forums that I am concerned about overkill. Which group of programs would cover my pc well?
3) I have backed up all my documents, music, photos, and list of favorites. Could I reinfect my pc when I reload them?
4) I have always used Internet Explorer, but I have been getting so many antispyware ads lately that have the IE heading (never got them before) that I don't trust IE anymore. Could you recommend the best brower?
5) My kids use IM all the time, but I think it's part of the problem. Any info there?
6) Which toolbars should I avoid?
Sorry for all the questions, but I might as well ask them in a single post. I want to do this right the first time. I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks much.
Edited by orion1500, 25 April 2005 - 03:00 AM.