Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Ram Card Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EEclips3

EEclips3

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:47 PM

Here are the specs:

Form Factor   	 Tower

Processor 	AMD Sempron 1.8 GHz

Installed Memory 	512 MB (DDR2 SDRAM)

Operating System 	Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Recommended Use 	Home Use
Processor
Processor Type 	AMD Sempron

Processor Speed 	1.8 GHz

Processor Manufacturer 	AMD

Socket Type 	Socket 754

Processor Upgradability 	Upgradable

Installed Qty 	1

Max Processors Qty. 	1
Memory
RAM Technology 	DDR2 SDRAM

Installed RAM 	512 MB

Max Supported RAM 	2 GB

Supported RAM Speeds 	400 MHz

I installed a new Kingston HyperX ram card today (1GB) Start up was fine and faster than usual. I checked My Computer and it's reading the card fine :thumbsup: Shows all the MB I added in full. My problem is when I try to load a few select programs they stall/fail until they no longer respond and then the whole computer locks up for a while. Also when I finished installing the ram card into the mobo I forgot to plug my drives back into the mobo >.< I started the computer and didn't notice for a few seconds and shut it back down and plugged them back in. I hope I didn't cause any damage to my system... Any help is appreciated greatly!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

Shows all the MB I added in full.

That means 1.5GB total? Have you tried using just the new 1GB DIMM alone? The new memory may not be compatible with the existing memory.

Starting up with the drives disconnected is unlikely to have caused any problem.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 EEclips3

EEclips3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:04 PM

Shows all the MB I added in full.

That means 1.5GB total? Have you tried using just the new 1GB DIMM alone? The new memory may not be compatible with the existing memory.

Starting up with the drives disconnected is unlikely to have caused any problem.

Ok I'm trying that now :thumbsup: I'm reverting back to my original hardware set up and then I'll try with the upgrade alone. I'll keep you posted. Thanks alot m8.

#4 EEclips3

EEclips3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

It works fine with the new ram card alone but no matter what sequence i put them both in none of my applications work ;_ ; Isn't there a way to find out for sure if its not compatible?

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

You can use Crucial.com to scan your computer and find out what memory it takes.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 EEclips3

EEclips3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

You can use Crucial.com to scan your computer and find out what memory it takes.

Nice thanks alot :thumbsup: Although I'm still seeing significant improvement with my program speeds, I'm a little disappointed I can't continue using my default card as another source of RAM ;_;

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:42 PM

You can run Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

I had a somewhat similar situation with incompatible modules...I solved it by slowing down my BIOS bus speed (from 200 to 166), which allowed the incompatible modules to do the job without producing the errors previously seen.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users