Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing, Lagging, Dcs With Comcast Cable Internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lethargic

lethargic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:45 PM

I've been having a problem with my cable internet from comcast for months, probably over a year, and nobody there seems to be able or want to help and I am completely desperate to get any help I can.

My connection gets great speed but between around 10-12 until sometime the next morning, my connection locks up, freezes, slows, drops, every couple of minutes. Sometimes the lock ups last as little as 5 seconds, sometimes as much as a minute.

My internet goes out completely once or twice a day causing me to reset the modem and router. The problem is on all computers, not just one. My Xbox included. I've tried bypassing the router a bunch of times and the problem persists without it.

I've had techs out and talked to CSRs a bunch during all this, nobody ever helps. When the CSRs reset my modem, things work good for a little bit, then it starts up again.

If all I did was surf the internet and check email the problems wouldn't be that bad. Sometimes it locks up while checking email or changing pages and I just have to wait for the freeze to end then try again. But I like to play games online and that causes a huge headache. My character is constantly just standing there frozen, unable to move until the internet kicks back in. The same thing happens to my mother when she tries to play her silly little poker app on myspace. It's just a little java or shockwave game and the internet is causing it to freeze up as well. The problem is even worse with my Xbox as the freezes don't just cause a hiccup, they completely DC me from the service everytime. I can sit here and try to play Call of Duty 4 for 3 or 4 hours and NEVER finish a game. Games only last 10 minutes or less, so that shows how frequently the freezes are happening.

The biggest problem I have is that these issues are at night. So Comcast basically tells me they can't help. They don't have any techs that can come out at that time so I'm on my own. Only ONCE was somebody here during the issues and he said he was seeing bit rate errors. But since the problems are mainly at night, nobody else has ever seen those.

During all these problems my modem never seems to go "off". All lights stay on as normal. And when I call the tech line and they check my modem they ALWAYS say my modem looks good, even when it's going haywire on my end.

Even when my internet goes completely out and I have to do the old unplug for 30 seconds to reset it, the modem still LOOKS normal. No lights go out or anything even though I'm not getting a connection.

So I'm posting in total desperation. I don't know what else to do. I'd love to hear any ides anybody has.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

Lethargic,

Since this an ISP issue, I am directing you to the Comcast help forums. Those forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, and CDV.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.
It's mainly a user-to-user forum, but lately Comcast has added more employees as moderators who can also help with issues.

Click the link below, you'll be sent to the sign in page. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken to the actual forums.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

Post your issue in the CONNECTION forum.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 September 2008 - 06:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users